Johannah Maybach, left, and her boyfriend Andrew Stuntz volunteer at their first gift-wrapping event of the season at the UNM Continuing Education building. Maybach is a student from Ft. Lewis, while Stuntz studies at UNM.

Holiday Time: Gift program brings cheer to those in need this season

Kalei Heartland greets the volunteers who walk into the UNM Continuing Education building with homemade cards, wrapping paper and a desire to do something positive for the community.

As families enjoy free pizza and each other’s company, she smiles at the rows of tote bags filled with the presents she is going to hand out come Christmas time.

“Christmas had always been atrocious for me and I figured I shouldn't be upset or sad,” Heartland said. “Instead, I could look for ways to brighten my holiday and others.”

What Heartland really wanted to do was inspire people to pay it forward, so she founded Gift Givers Anonymous six years ago. The program began as a small project and has since gone viral.

An estimated 2,000 holiday gifts are going to be distributed this year. Community members are welcome to attend the remaining gift-wrapping events which began Nov. 7 through Dec. 5. They have been held at a variety of locations, most recently the UNM Continuing Education building and Messiah Lutheran Church.

One of the largest donations came from middle-school students who decorated 900 Trader Joe bags for the gift-wrapping events, Heartland said.

“The Christmas-giving keeps growing,” she said. “We go into hospitals, laundromats, bus stops, restaurants, all over Albuquerque to give to people anonymously.”

In February, GGA merged with St. Martin’s Hospitality Center, which has been serving the homeless for 30 years. This year is different because Heartland runs a membership-based clearinghouse and “money free store” meant to help the homeless and those who have been in jail. Organizations working with the needy pay an annual membership fee so clients can choose household items.

“If you’re moving out of homelessness and have a case manager, you get to shop for free for linens, plates, cups and more,” Heartland said.

With so many donations pouring in, items are going to be moved to larger warehouse where a whole room will be set aside for everything Christmas-related. Heartland said she likes filling mugs with coffee and chocolate, along with the message: “Tag, you’re it! You just got an anonymous gift of kindness. Keep it going.”

She said most people are confused by the gesture, especially when there are free items and no apparent strings attached. But they do express their appreciation, often in dramatic ways, Heartland said.

“You can just see them light up,” she said. “Sometimes they’ll come chase you down, cry and say, ‘no one has been that nice to me.’”

Emily Arzate, a UNM alumni, first met Heartland in graduate school. Shortly before earning a master’s degree in Health Education, she said Heartland planted a seed for the nonprofit and pursued her mission of helping the less fortunate.

“Since we worked so closely in school, I was always fascinated with her work and pursuits,” she said. “I have had the opportunity to watch GGA be born and grow in a very special way.”

With the volunteer work she has done, Arzate said she sees the kind of example Heartland sets, one that showcases what it means to give freely without an expectation of receiving.

“Kalei works diligently daily to carry out GGA’s mission,” she said. “Her humble personality and passion for giving is a jewel.”

Jenna Stoff is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached on Twitter @JennaStoff.

To donate to Gift Givers Anonymous, call Kalei Heartland at 504-5222 to arrange a pick-up or email her at kheartland@smhc-nm.org.

Remaining gift-wrapping parties:

Sunday, Nov. 29 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. - St. Stephen’s Church, 4601 Juan Tabo Blvd. NE.

Saturday, Dec. 5th from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. - St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, 820 Broadway Blvd. SE/Parish Hall.