Raul Valencia helps a young mother register at the Toys For Tots registration at the Alamosa Center on November 19.

Holiday Time: Toy, food drives request donations, volunteers for holidays

Perhaps Saint Francis of Assisi was right when he said that when people give, they also receive something in return.

At least, that sentiment resonates for Valarie Sheffey, a junior computer science major.

“None of us was born in a bubble,” she said. “Our communities shape us into the adults we are now and give us opportunities. It is only natural we show gratitude by returning the favor.”

Sheffey is a board member for two community-service-oriented clubs on campus: she is the bulletin editor of Circle K International (UNM CKI) and treasurer of the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE).

Apart from volunteering at a slew of other community service projects, she assisted with the Crossroads for Women Thanksgiving Meal this semester and plans on participating in bell ringing for the Salvation Army in December, and welcomes anyone else interested. Sheffey encourages students to go to unmcki.org and the UNM NSBE Facebook page for more information on how to get involved.

For people like Sheffey who enjoy giving back to the community, here are a few more volunteer opportunities happening this holiday season to help get started.

Toys for Tots

Two years ago, Toys for Tots received a plate of cookies and card from a child who was very appreciative of the group’s mission. The card explained that his mother was surprised at the program’s generosity, as she struggled to provide for him and his younger brother and would now have one less thing to worry about during Christmas.

“This note touched (us) all. This is the reason so many come back to volunteer,” Toys for Tots Registration Coordinator Michelle Sena said.

This year the organization will be distributing toys on Dec. 11 and 12 at the Hobby Lobby on Wyoming Boulevard near Montgomery Boulevard from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. During the distribution, children and families come together to choose and collect toys.

Registration dates are on Dec. 1 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Alamosa Community Center and on Dec. 4 from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Cesar Chavez Community Center.

Apart from assistance at the toy distribution, Sena said Toys for Tots would appreciate volunteer assistance during the toy pick-up, setup and cleanup, all being held during the first half of December.

“It’s not about the toys; it’s about (bringing) us together as a community during the holidays,” Sena said. “Many families struggle to pay the bills. With this program, these parents don’t have to worry about providing a nice Christmas for their children.”

Go to toysfortotsnm.org to sign up to volunteer or learn more information. Those in need can call 311 or visit cabq.gov/toysfortots or toysfortotsnm.org to learn more or reach out to Toys for Tots.

Joy Junction

Joy Junction is a church ministry that offers emergency and short-term necessities to Albuquerque’s homeless women, children and families. This faith-based organization provides its guests spiritual and emotional support, as well as food, counseling, shelter, clothing and transportation services.

This Thanksgiving and Christmas, Joy Junction will be hosting Holiday Feasts and encourages the community to make a donation or volunteer.

The Thanksgiving Feast will be held Nov. 25 from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

The Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner will be held on Nov. 26 from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. at the 4500 Second St. SW Joy Junction location.

The Christmas Feast will be held on Dec. 21 from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

The Pre-Christmas Meal will be held on Dec. 22 from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. at the Second St. location mentioned above.

The Traditional Christmas Dinner will be held Dec. 25 from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m., also at the Second St. location.

Call (505) 344-9146 to volunteer at the events at Albuquerque Convention Center and (505) 463-4818 to volunteer at the events at Joy Junction.

“Events like these are very important to us because they allow us and our community the opportunity to show those who are experiencing hunger and/or homelessness that they are thought of, loved and cared for ... Our community can benefit from these events in one way or another,” Joy Junction Founder and CEO Jeremy Reynalds said.

Reynalds encourages those interested in volunteering or learning more to visit www.joyjunction.org or email katjsotelo@gmail.com if they are part of a group/organization that would like to speak about hunger and homelessness.

Boys & Girls Club

The Boys & Girls Clubs of Central New Mexico serves more than 350 children across its six branches. This year, the group will be holding a Toy Drive for kids and an “Adopt a Family” event. There will also be a Club Donation Wish List for the Clubs.

The Toy Drive requests that donors give new, unwrapped toys for children between the ages of five and 18. It is running now through Dec. 14. Donations can be dropped off at the Seligman Branch at 3333 Truman St. NE in Albuquerque or at the Schumann Branch at 4600 Sundt Road NE in Rio Rancho between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

The “Adopt a Family” event provides food, clothing and gifts to families in need. It is running now through Dec. 23; however, the last day to request a family is Dec. 18. Donations should be delivered by Dec. 23 to the Administrative Office at the Truman St. location mentioned above.

All of the clubs will be supported via donations to the Club Donation Wish List, which includes specific items the Clubs need to provide a positive environment and strong programs for their children. The Wish List is an ongoing project and can be found at bgccnm.org, as donations are needed and accepted year-round. These may also be delivered to the Truman St. location.

“We encourage donations and volunteers from the entire community ... At the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central New Mexico, we strive to give kids of Albuquerque and Rio Rancho the Gift of a Great Future,” said Development Coordinator of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central New Mexico Sharlene Argyres. “We can’t do that alone. We are a not-for-profit organization, and we rely on donations and sponsorships from our community in order to provide a safe, fun, healthy and educational environment to kids.”

Visit bgccnm.org for more information. Contact Argyres at (505) 881-0777 or sargyres@bgccnm.org if you are interested in adopting a family, volunteering or receiving services.

Elizabeth Sanchez is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@Beth_A_Sanchez.