Holiday Time: Pro plays for granting a sports fan's wish this year

Sometimes people have a difficult time finding a holiday gift for friends or loved ones they feel are particularly hard to shop for. Before there is no more time left on the clock, here are some ideas that might help you find the perfect gift for the avid sports fan in your life.

Tickets to a sporting event

Depending on the nature of the relationship, purchasing tickets to your sports fan’s favorite team could provide both parties with an experience the gift giver and receiver will remember for a lifetime. Tickets to professional sporting events can range anywhere from tens to thousands of dollars, but if purchased in advance, most people can find tickets on the team website at face value in a price range they are comfortable with. You might even be able to plan a vacation around it.

Sports equipment

If the sports fan in your life enjoys playing a particular one, purchasing something for him or her to enjoy that sport even more might be a good way to go. A new football, basketball, baseball bat, glove or similar item is something that is sure to make them think of you when they go out to play. A way to add a personal touch to the gift might be to engrave or stamp the item, when possible. Most of these items are available at sporting goods stores for about $20-$50.

Video games

Often times, sports fans are also avid gamers. With video game franchises such as Madden and 2K Sports, gift givers have an annual opportunity to provide their loved ones with the most recent release of their favorite game. New releases of video games on the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One systems are typically around $59.99.

Sports apparel

Most sports fans like to wear their “fanhood” on their sleeves —or heads, or shoes. Purchasing their favorite player’s jersey is one of the more expensive options, but gifting a hat, sweatshirt or other sports memorabilia could grant the same happiness at a fraction of the cost. Several stores also provide an option to personalize apparel by embroidering a name or phrase on the item. Authentic game jerseys can cost well over $100, but the other options can be found on the internet or in most retail stores for around $20-$50.

Gift cards

While some might view gift cards as impersonal, this is definitely an option if all else fails. If the person is truly impossible to shop for, this takes all the pressure of finding something he or she will like off your shoulders. Buying something from their favorite store or a pro shop store might provide recipients with something they are sure to love. However, there is also the possibility the friend will never make the connection that you were the source of that gift. On the plus side, setting a fixed amount for the gift card makes it easier not to go over budget.

Robert Maler is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@robert_maler.