Holiday Time: Gift-giving traditions across the globe

The tradition of gift giving has been around for as long as humans have lived in society. However, the nature of the gifts given depends a lot on time and space. The Daily Lobo has compiled a list of gift-giving traditions practiced in various countries on six continents.

England

According to the website giftypedia.com, gifts are given in England at times of different celebrations. Usually, adults in the U.K. like to celebrate birthdays in bars or pubs by buying rounds of drinks. When invited to a friend’s house, people usually bring a host/hostess gift, which may be a bottle of wine, good chocolates or flowers. However, according to the website, red roses, white lilies or chrysanthemums should not be given as gifts while visiting someone’s home. The English also encourage a hand-written thank-you note for the hosts.

China

Chinese give gifts on the eves of Chinese New Year, weddings and births, according to giftypedia.com. On New Year's Eve it's tradition for money to be gifted in a red envelope, and the amount of money and the number of bills should both be in even numbers. The Chinese believe that gift envelopes should not be opened until the Chinese New Year is over, or bad luck will follow. According to the website, in China it is customary to refuse a gift three times before accepting it. Also, according to Chinese tradition, gifts are not to be opened in front of the giver.

Australia and New Zealand

According to giftypedia.com, the nature of gift giving in Europe and Australia are almost the same: “If invited to someone's home for dinner, it is polite to bring a box of chocolates or flowers to the host/hostess. A bottle of wine is also appreciated." In Australia the gifts are opened when received. Australians refer to gift baskets as "gift hampers."

Canada

In Canada if you are invited to someone’s home, it is encouraged that you bring the host/hostess a box of chocolate, flowers or a bottle of wine, according to giftypedia.com. If you want to gift flowers, it's better to send them a day before, or early on the day of the party. In Canada, the gifts are usually opened as soon as received and in front of the gift giver.

South America

According to giftypedia.com, the Brazilian gift custom is to gift wine, scotch or champagne when invited into someone’s home. “Brazilians have an occidental culture, influenced by the West. Giving a gift you would give in the USA will be appreciated,” according to the website.

South Africa

According to giftypedia.com, South African culture is so diverse that the nature of gifts depends on the area of the country and the community you are dealing with. South Africa has a population made up of people from China, India, Holland and many other countries of origin.

Usually, in South Africa gifts are reserved for birthdays and Christmas. The 21st and 40th birthdays are especially celebrated, with large parties and lavish gifts to mark these milestones, according to the website. “Gift giving in South Africa usually takes on a conservative tone. The focus at Christmas is on the religious celebration, and it is not uncommon for a holiday gift to be a new suit or dress to wear to church for Christmas services. If gifts are exchanged in poorer communities, they are typically items such as school books, soap, cloth, candles or other practical goods,” according to the website.

Sayyed Shah is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at assistant-news@dailylobo.com.