UNM athletics partners with Uber to provide transportation to football games

The UNM athletics department recently announced that it will be partnering with Uber to make getting to and from games easier than ever before for Lobo fans.

Uber drivers will take fans to and from football games, depending on where the customers would like to go. The official pick up and drop off area for Uber drivers is located in Lot A of Isotopes park, which is on the south side of the park next to Avénida Cesar Chávez.

The partnership officially began during the Lobos' homecoming game against Hawaii. Kyle James, general manager of Lobo Sports Properties, said that the agreement provides a safe option for students and other attendees.

"The partnership means that there is now a unique way for fans to attend football games while not having to worry about parking or walking long distances, while also providing a safe means of transportation to and from the stadium on game day," James said.

The partnership is currently only for football games, but that could change depending on the service’s popularity amongst Lobo fans.

"The current partnership is indeed for football only," James said. "However, Uber and UNM athletics are discussing opportunities to extend this partnership for other sporting events as well. There is no timetable on when this will be official."

Jennifer Sanchez, a freshman psychology major, said she believes that this new resource for fans and students alike will be helpful, and even has the potential to save a life.

"I definitely think this will benefit a lot of students, because I for one hate looking for parking and I hate walking a mile to get to the stadium," Sanchez said. "Also many students are over age and can drink, so this will be essential for them."

Since the launch of the partnership, many Lobo fans used the service.

"Lobo fans have responded to the partnership and we have seen an increase in participants as time has progressed," James said. "We'd love to see that number continue to increase as the partnership progresses."

UNM sports fans can receive a ride worth up to $20 if it's their first time using Uber. James also said that fans who use the code GOLOBOS while ordering an Uber can win a VIP prize pack, including field passes and free tickets to Lobo football games.

According to the UNM athletics website, "Uber ambassadors will provide a presence throughout University Stadium to assist fans on game day."

For more information on the new partnership between Uber and UNM, Lobo fans can follow UNM athletics on Facebook and Twitter.

Matthew Narvaiz is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @RealMattNarvaiz.