Andrew Sandoval-Strausz

Andrew Sandoval-Strausz

​UNM scholar wins three awards for best publication

An associate professor of history at UNM has received three scholarly prizes for his article “Latino Landscapes: Postwar Cities and the Transnational Origins of a New Urban America,” which was published last December in the Journal of American History.

According to the a UNM press release, in the article, Andrew Sandoval-Strausz challenges “the paradigm of the postwar decades as a period of urban crisis in which cities lost population and violent crime soared.”

Sandoval-Strausz in his article stresses the simultaneous counter-trend of massive urbanization that characterized much of the world, especially Latin America, and explains how this process soon became a transnational one as it expanded to include U.S. cities, according to the statement.

“As a result, Sandoval-Strausz contends, Latino immigrants and migrants revitalized U.S. cities by repopulating neighborhoods, restoring economic activity, and lowering crime in a way that helped bring the urban crisis to an end. This new narrative—what he calls “the next urban history”—puts Latinos to the center of one of the most hotly debated aspects of the nation’s history,” according to the statement.

The Urban History Association awarded Sandoval-Strausz the 2015 Arnold Hirsch Award for Best Article in a Scholarly Journal. The article also won the 2015 Catherine Bauer Wurster Prize of the Society for American City and Regional Planning History, which is awarded to the best scholarly article in the field written in the previous two years, according to the statement.

The article was also the winner of the 2015 Article Prize given by the Society of Architectural Historians’ Southeast Chapter, according to the statement.

Sayyed Shah is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @mianfawadshah.