Holiday Time: A list of minor presents to give one's major supporters

Late November: the tail end of the semester where finals, cold weather and winter break leave students on the brink of stress-induced insanity. The relief of the holidays comes to students after final exams that, in some cases, could not have been passed without the assistance of friends and family.

A binge session of Netflix or a drink or two for those of legal age sometimes isn’t enough to fully show appreciation for the presence and deeds of those friends. Oftentimes friends aren’t shown the appreciation they deserve, they provide company, they help you move, they help you out with flashcards for quiz terms, and between the late nights and the long study sessions they stick around for better or for worse.

In the spirit of the season gifts are given to friends as a gesture of appreciation and celebration, but sometimes a gift card to Satellite or the movies just doesn’t cut it. College is a place of education, where one learns the ropes of the professional field they hope to enter.

In the spirit of the season and the environment, here are a few gift suggestions for different majors.

Business and management

It’s not in many students’ budgets to buy a tailored suit, the uniform of the profession; but small items could mean just at much.

Business cards: Networking is essential in any field, and many job opportunities can be obtained through a good impression, but turning that encounter into a possible job offer requires a way to be contacted. Business cards are a good way to exchange contact info without having to go through the process of exchanging numbers with a cell phone — it’s just a simple trade instead of a sometimes-frustrating process. Business cards are quick, easy and good to have around at a conference.

A batch of 500 cards runs cheap from the right outlets; the satisfaction of the recipient with the card’s design is guaranteed, however.

Psychology

The study of the mind is a popular major on many college campuses, and psychology degrees have the potential to be applied in a wide array of fields. Depending on the recipient’s focus, the latest version of the DSM might not be best idea, despite its affordability. These gifts are a good substitute.

A book on their favorite topic: This suggestion almost goes without mention. The gift of a book on the recipient’s favorite or particular focus in psychology shows interest in the recipient’s field of study and what they found a passion for. Giving them a book on the subject also provides them with the opportunity to see other viewpoints on the subject, and maybe a new-found appreciation for their focus.

In terms of the price of the book, it can range depending on the popularity, its availability and how recently it was published. Checking a number of sellers is a good way of finding a good deal.

Nursing

Pursuing a degree in the medical field is a guarantee of stress and difficult coursework. Often what isn’t understood is the amount of work it takes to become a nurse, especially when the University’s medical school is ranked among the best in the nation. These gifts would be good for friends in Nursing.

A massage: In all seriousness, a massage would be a good gift for a medical student. Stress has negative health consequences, and the amount of work that goes into a nursing degree produces stress. Massages reduce stress with a relaxing environment, and the stimulation of bodily pressure points adds to the experience. They are good for complete relaxation and to briefly forget the stress of daily life.

Massages can get pricey, but some research online and deals can be found.

The spirit of gift giving

While these suggestions are based on use and availability, they may not be what the recipients would appreciate as a gift. While it is true that strings cost money, being an architect is time-consuming, and a good massage is good for stress, what matters most is a gift that shows thought and consideration.

Every person is different. Just as every artist has their own style and each businessman has their own tactics, what one person likes in a gift, another would consider the gift a testament to the perception the giver has of them.

This article can only help you along the way, and serves as a reminder that the holidays that celebrate friends and family are less than a month away. It’s never a bad idea to start searching early for a good gift.

Fin Martinez is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.