Column: ASUNM working to protect the scholarship, budgeting for student organization

A new semester is underway and with it ASUNM is determined to finish our academic year strong. Within just the first two weeks, we have been up to Santa Fe many times regarding our Capital Outlay Project and the Lottery Scholarship, held our first rounds of budget workshops, and begun working on our new outreach efforts for this semester. We have a lot on the docket for this semester, but we can’t do any of it without YOUR help. Here are the major ways you can help us get started:

1. Fill out a brief questionnaire at this link: http://goo.gl/forms/EWZ2zybWBg. We’ve already had a TON of responses, but we need as many as we can get. Your stories will be shared in Santa Fe as we continue to lobby for the continuation of the Lottery Scholarship. Please help us prevent this funding drop that would reduce tuition covered from 100 percent to 60 percent within the coming years. We believe education should be accessible and we need your help to make sure it stays that way.

2. Keep your ear to the ground on what we have coming up. Follow us on all of our social media platforms for updates about new events we have coming up as well as the details regarding monthly scholarships we will begin offering next month.

3. We are working hard on ASUNM’s outreach as a whole this semester. This begins with assigning a senator to each chartered student organization and resource center. They should introduce themselves to you within the next week in person or via e-mail. If they haven’t please come by our office so we can assure you were assigned one.

4. Go back to your own student organizations and begin brainstorming your needs for next year together. Is there a conference that you all have been dying to attend? Do you need advertising to gain membership? What about food? ASUNM is here to fund you. Please come by our office or e-mail us as the appropriation process is already underway and the budget process is right around the corner.

5. Come see us. We are trying to do our best to come to you this semester and that starts with outreach events and our meetings. We are starting a new event called Commuter Connection as well as changing up our meeting spaces. Most recently we had our full senate meeting at the Pit and we are currently looking to host a meeting near the Residence Halls as well. If you have an idea of a space you would like to see us, let us know.

We are here to work for you. Which means we can’t do it without your help. Please be sure to check the Daily Lobo weekly for our column updates so that we can remain transparent and accessible.

Alexandra Cervantes is the 2015-16 ASUNM vice president. She can be contacted at asunmvp@unm.edu.