Senior jumper Yannick Roggatz leaps into the air Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 at the Albuquerque Convention Center. The Lobos will compete again at the New Mexico Classic and Multis Saturday, Feb. 5.

Track and field: Lobos open the season with strong individual showings

Several New Mexico athletes posted personal bests over the weekend at the New Mexico Invitational.

The Lobos did not post the top team score in either the men’s or women’s division at the meet, but did notch some high scores throughout the day. Head coach Joe Franklin said he was impressed by many of the performances, some of which were pleasant surprises.

“I really liked the fact that we had some kids that came out and competed really hard and when they least expect it, great things happen,” he said.

Janell Hadnot had the best women’s triple jump mark last week, and was not supposed to compete in the event this week. Yet she did jump and made the most of the opportunity, coming in first place again and setting a personal record with a jump of 42 feet, 11 3/4 inches.

Her jump, an improvement of over a foot from last week, is one of the top jumps in the nation so far this season. The mark could put her in contention for an NCAA berth. Hadnot said she had no idea she had done so well and was surprised when she heard the mark.

Fellow jumper Yannick Roggatz also came in first place in his event, setting an indoor personal best along the way in the men’s long jump event. Roggatz landed two jumps of 24 feet, 10 1/2 inches.

“I was hoping to get a little bit further, but it’s a (personal record) so I can’t complain,” Roggatz said. “I just hope I can carry that over into next week and go a little further.”

Allan Hamilton, who earned Mountain West athlete of the week honors last week, was unable to compete this weekend due to an injury, but is expected to be back in action next week.

The Lobos also continued to show improvement in another field event, the women’s weight toss. A week after turning in the third best performance in UNM history, Amaris Blount eclipsed last week’s mark by over two feet with a throw of 56 feet, 3 inches, moving her into second place. The mark secured her an eighth place finish, which earned her a point for the team.

Blount said she got goose bumps when she heard that she had moved into second place in school history. She said her first goal every week is to set a new personal record.

“I’ve been working really hard to accomplish what I did today,” Blount said. “My goal is still 60 feet, but every meet I continue to get better and better.”

On the track, the Lobos took the top 4 spots in the women’s 1-mile run. Calli Thackery came in first place with a time of 4:45.54, followed by Sophie Connor at 4:52.41 and Emily Hosker-Thornhill, finishing third at 4:57.17.

Connor also recorded the top time in the women’s 800 meter run, finishing with a time of 2:15.05, while Zoe Howell earned a second place finish in the women’s 600 meter event, with a time of 1:34.06.

In the men’s 1-mile run, Elmar Engholm ran the race in 4:10.30, which was good enough for a third place finish.

Both Lobo relay teams shaved time off of last week’s performance. In the 1,600-meter relay event, the women’s team of Larimar Rodriguez, Zoe Howell, Haley Sanner and Holly Van Grinsven came in fourth place with a time of 3:46.80

The men’s relay team of Cheyne Dorsey, Chris Kline, Mustafa Mudada and Mark Haywood came in fifth with a time of 3:15.17.

Howell came in third place in the women’s 600 meter with a time of 1:34.03. Van Grinsven also placed third, recording a time of 8.53 in the women’s 60 meter hurdle final.

On the women’s side Colorado State compiled 110 points - edging out Nebraska, which had 108.5 points - to take first place in the women’s team scoring. The Lobos came in fifth with 71 points.

Nebraska won the men’s side with 107 points, while New Mexico finished ninth with 37 points.

The Lobos will continue its season at home again, hosting the New Mexico Classic and Multis at the Albuquerque Convention Center next weekend.

Robert Maler is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers cross country, tennis, and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@robert_maler.