Two new UNM regents confirmed

The New Mexico Senate confirmed two regents to the UNM Board of Regents on Monday, according to a UNM press release, in a process that turned out to be not quite smooth.”

The pair confirmed by Senate, are current Student Regent Ryan Berryman of Sandia Park, an MBA student at the Anderson School of Management. The other is current Regent Marron Lee, who comes from “a Cibola County ranching family that has long supported UNM and in fact gifted the University with its first live Lobo,” according to the release.

Berryman said that he was both humbled and honored to be confirmed by members of the New Mexico Senate.

“The confirmation process is important for any appointed position because it provides the opportunity for the Senate to get to know candidates, ask questions and determine whether or not appointees are a good fit for vacant positions,” he said.

He said the Board of Regents is important to the development of the University because of their ability to govern, provide oversight and establish goals and objectives.

“Regents work at a macro level to provide insight and direction for the University. Because most regents are appointed to six-year terms, they must consider the current state of the University while also remaining forward thinking, considering the needs of future faculty, staff and students,” he said.

He said that as a student representative on the board, Berryman feels it is his duty to communicate student views, opinions and needs.

“I am very grateful to work with other regents who value my opinion and look to me to speak to student issues," he said. "Our regents are established professionals in their respective fields, but do not have the luxury of having been a UNM student the past four years.”

He said that he plans to communicate that viewpoint on issues that not only affect him, but all of his classmates as well.

Berryman said he was honored to represent his alma mater in the capacity of a regent and looks forward to the year ahead.

“I want to be as open and transparent as possible in my position," he said. "In my experience as student regent thus far, the most rewarding aspect is that I am never the smartest individual in the room. Everyone on campus knows something that would allow me to better serve our University.”

Berryman said that he is often in his office in the lower level of the SUB and is always available on Twitter @StudentRegent and via email at stregent@unm.edu.

Lee, a multi-generational New Mexican and a regent with long term ties to the University, said she is highly honored by the decision.

“I know that getting confirmed by the Senate is something that most people don’t get to experience,” she said.

Lee said the leaders of the state have given her the honor and the responsibility of performing duties that will benefit the University and people of New Mexico.

“I know, it gives me an idea of how long can I work as a regent. I have an end date, as opposed to having no end date,” she said.

She said that she is a hard worker and collaborator and uses her skills for the benefit of the University.

“I think the best I am going to serve the University, is trying to get systems in place,” Lee said.

She said that she thinks it is interesting that there have been three generations of women who have served the University in the capacity of a regent.

"From my great grandmother, who Marron Hall is named after, to my grandmother, and to me. I think that speaks to New Mexico and how we have families and generations staying here. We love our state and the institutions of our state," Lee said. "We want to make it better for the next generation.”

Sayyed Shah is the assistant news editor at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at assistant-news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @mianfawadshah.