The Albuquerque Police Department plans to reasses its policies and training with regards to the treatment of the mentally ill.

APD aims to reassess use of force with mentally ill

Use of excessive force and the handling of individuals who have a mental diagnosis have been significant issues for law enforcement in Albuquerque, but despite national attention and heavy scrutiny, Albuquerque Police Department, the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Department and UNM personnel have steadily corrected the issue. 

Celina Espinoza, the outreach director for APD, said one way this has been achieved has been through the implementation of council meetings.

“Per the Department of Justice Settlement Agreement, APD and the city have set up councils in each of six of our area commands," she said. 

Officers attend each council and the goal is to create a forum for open dialogue and discussion on ways to improve policing in our city, she said. 

"The councils can send formal recommendations to the Chief and help implement lasting change," she said. 

The six area commands, according to Espinoza, are set up in the cardinal directions of Albuquerque districts, including NE, SE, SW and NW. The UNM committee office resides in the Southeast Area Command.

Espinoza said that Lt. Glenn St. Onge of the APD Violence Crime Division has led the charge for reform at APD. 

“Lt. Onge has been instrumental in overseeing the training of APD, Bernalillo County Sheriff and Rio Rancho DPS officers with regards on how to address and effectively handle mental illness. Lt. Onge presents at council meetings, and along with personnel from UNM, will present their data and policies at a National convention in Chicago this April,” she said.

James Souter, the Valley Area Command Community Police Council Chairman, said the University has had a large part to play in the changes.  

“UNM is very heavily involved on the mental health response committee and the community partners group who suggest we have a triage center for our police in handling the impaired individuals," Souter said. 

UNM chemistry professor Paul Watson is the driver behind UNM’s involvement. 

“I got involved because I wanted to build and improve the rapport between the police and the UNM neighborhood,” Watson said. “The meetings are open to the public but they have poor turnouts. We have the ability to make suggestions that can be brought to the attention of the police and the mayor."

Watson said there were some incidents involving police in his own neighborhood near UNM that made the residents nearby skeptical. 

“We want to know what the police are up to," he said. 

Espinoza said building a relationship is the most important plan of action when properly dealing with a mentally ill individual.

“Officers have to figure out what triggers set off the individual and familiarize themselves with them,” Espinoza said. “Officers also gather information that may aid them, including finding out the family members of the individual. Family members often provide great detail of the mentally ill individual and what the individual is more likely to respond to.”

Souter said the next meeting will be held Wednesday, Feb. 17 at 10 a.m., at Los Duranes Community Center located at 2920 Leopoldo Rd. NW. The meeting is hosted by the Valley Command Citizens Policing Council and Lt. Onge will be a guest speaker.

“Lt. Onge gave a presentation along with the Valley Area Command Community Police Council Chairman and it was well received,” Souter said. “All of our public safety department officials are working together to complete the training lined out in these DOJ agreements on use of force. I believe that this meeting will be very beneficial in answering the questions of where all of our DPS departments are heading in the use of force concepts and the processing of the mentally impaired.”

William Longenbaugh a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @dailylobo.