Jenna Crabb talks about the opportunity UNM students could obtain from the upcoming job recruitment fair. The career expo will taking place in the SUB Ballroom this Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m..

UNM to hold eclectic career fair

UNM is holding one of the biggest career fairs in the state this Tuesday.

The Office of Career Services at UNM is hosting the annual Career Expo from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the SUB ballrooms, offering jobs to students of all levels and majors.

Jenna Crabb, director of career services and interim dean of students, said there are going to be 86 employers onsite at this year’s event.

That includes non-profits, educational institutions, government, law enforcement and everything in between, she said.

“We try and have an eclectic group of employers come to all of our events,” Crabb said. “Because we want to represent every student. There is a good fit out there for most students, it’s just trying to figure out what that is.”

She said all employers attending have a number of internships and/or jobs available on site.

“Meaning, ‘I’m hiring right now,’” Crabb said. “These employers want to hire our students. That’s why they’re coming to us.”

Keith A. Hitz, employer outreach manager at Office of Career Service, said with the Career Expo catering to 86 employers, it’s a big opportunity for students.

“It would take a job seeker weeks or even months to contact that multitude of employers or to research specific job opportunities,” he said. “We have many companies who conduct interviews directly after the career fair and some that will interview job seekers on the spot.”

Career Services also offers a variety of concentrated workshops for all students leading up to the Expo, Hitz said. Workshops include resume and cover letter critiques, job searches and assisting students in finding their passion.

“We really try to train students on how to make sure that they know what the recruiters want and are looking for,” Crabb said. “I think having a plan helps students.”

Crabb said the one of the biggest benefits of the Expo is accessibility.

“It’s here on campus, students can get help ahead of time to be really prepared and really competitive to find a job,” she said. “We take that fear out of career.”

She said meeting over 80 employers can be overwhelming for students, so it’s helpful to come prepared.

“I would tell students to really go online and look at what companies are coming and get a plan,” Crabb said. “Know which companies you want to hit.”

Crabb also recommended that students wear business attire, avoiding T-shirts and shorts. In addition, she emphasized the earlier the better; it’s best to come at 9 a.m., when they open and while it’s still slow.

“Around lunch, from 11 to one, the Expo will be slammed and standing-room only for many,” she said, with anywhere from 2,000 to 4,500 attendees expected throughout the day.

For all students, especially those who can’t make the Expo, Hitz said he recommends visiting the Lobo Career Connection database offered by Career Services.

The database gives students the opportunity to apply for jobs and internships online, he said, as well as allowing them to learn more about companies coming to the career fair.

“This system is an extremely easy to use tool for any student and alumni to further their career knowledge. We will have over 500 jobs and internships posted through LCC at any given month,” Hitz said.

Currently there are 7,384 employers and 462 jobs registered on the database, offered exclusively to UNM students, Crabb said.

“You can see on there how many jobs are out there, you can sort by state, there’s a lot in there,” she said.

Crabb, a UNM alumna, who has been in career services since 2002, said her work is all about the students.

“UNM is my heart and soul,” She said. “The best place to work ever, because I get to work with students and help them achieve their dreams. You can’t get any better than that.”

Matthew Reisen is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.