Ryan Daly performs alongside the Parade of Lights band in the Kiva Auditorium at the Albuquerque Convention center on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016. Ryan Daly is the lead vocalist and guitarist for Parade of Lights.

Parade of Lights engages fans with their unique sound

For Parade of Lights the purpose of music is to engage others through their unique rock/electric sound and lyrics in order to relate and inspire others to be empowered to enjoy life.

Parade of Lights is a band from the Los Angeles region that is currently on tour across the United States. The band comprises lead vocal and guitarist Ryan Daly, Anthony Improgo on drums, Michelle Ashley on vocals and keyboard and Randy Schulte on bass.

The band recently signed with Astralwerks and released their first album in September. They are currently working on a second album which they plan to release after finishing their tour.

Parade of Lights performed at the Kiva Auditorium. The audience cheered them on from their opening till the last song as their performance engaged the audience through a combination of rock and electronic style music.

“I think we had a very positive feedback tonight,” Improgo said. “I am happy they liked the show.”

After their performance the band came out to spend time with the people who had came to the concert. They were greeted by numerous people who came to chat, hang out and take pictures. The band enjoys these interactions and is a sentiment shared every member.

“We love spending time with the audience,” Schulte said. “Seeing families come to our table and talk is always great.”

The unique flavor of music Parade of Lights creates comes from their perspective on what music should accomplish.

“Our inspiration really comes from everything, such as watching a movie, reading a book or hanging out with people,” Daly said. “We try to capture that emotion, capture the way you feel in everyday life and relate that back to you in our music.”

This important focus in their music also extends to the lyrics they use. Incorporating lyrics into this unique style of music is challenging due how easy it is to lose lyrics altogether and focus on the electronic qualities.

“Now that electronic music is so big it’s easy to bypass lyrics altogether,” Daly said. “The biggest part about creating our music is making sure there is a song in it, which is why lyrics are important to us.”

Parade of Lights picked their name from the lyrics of a song they were working on back when they formed in 2010. After reading the song’s lyrics the phrase “parade of lights” stuck with them and afterwards became their name. The name generates a strong visual aesthetic that they try to incorporate into their productions. The band strives to establish visual components with their music through their website, products, and shows.

The band remains optimistic with what the future holds for them as people continue to learn about their music.

“Our hope and goal in the future is to have the band be something that stands on their own and that people can relate to and become inspired by,” Daly said. “Right now we are a band that is doing our best at keeping this goal obtainable.”

Isaiah Jordan is a culture reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.