Junior cornerback Nias Martin takes down an Arizona University player during the 10th Gildan New Mexico Bowl. Martin allegedly sexually assaulted and kidnapped a 19 year old female UNM student.

UNM Police search apartment of Lobo cornerback

The UNM Police Department exercised a warrant to search the Lobo Village apartment of Nias Martin, a junior cornerback for the UNM football team, on February 21.

While no charges have yet been filed, an alleged sexual assault and kidnapping incident occurred between Martin and a 19-year-old female student who also attends UNM. The 19-year-old reported the incident on Feb. 20, with her father and sister.

The woman stated in a police report that she had previously been in a relationship with Martin, but that the two were no longer together. The woman said she had agreed to go over to his Lobo Village apartment, and that they would talk about having sex.

The report states that she then changed her mind, sending a text saying she didn’t want to have sex, and wanted to remain just friends. Martin then replied that the two could watch a movie instead.

After the movie ended at approximately 2 a.m., the woman told an officer she was trying to go home when Martin grabbed her to prevent her from leaving.

Martin then proceeded to tell the woman, “Don’t fight it; I’m stronger than you are,” according the female UNM student.

When Martin was confronted by an officer, he initially said he didn’t have intercourse with the 19-year-old female that night and that the two had broken up in January. He said they didn’t talk about having sex over text messages, but rather over the phone.

After the officer presented the evidence that the conversation had occurred over text, Martin changed his story, stating that he still had not had intercourse with his ex-girlfriend, but did acknowledge the text messages.

In the report, the officer told Martin “this was his chance to tell his side of the story,” which led to Martin admitting to having sex with her that night.

Martin currently has two other roommates in the Lobo Village housing facility, and though they were not in the room when the alleged incident occurred, according to the report, the officer plans on interviewing the two roommates.

The officer confiscated both of Martin’s phones, his bedding and a DNA sample for evidence upon further investigation.

Martin, a junior college transfer, played his first year at UNM a season ago. He recorded 35 tackles, six pass breakups and a 77-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown as a junior.

Neither head coach Bob Davie or Paul Krebs were available for comment.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.