Senior Mariah Rimmer rounds second base during a game against Northern Colorado at the Lobo Softball Field. The Lobos lost to Cal State Fullerton 2-0.

Softball: Lobos go 2-3 at Cal State Fullerton tourney

Despite picking up its biggest wins of the season at the Cal State Fullerton tournament, the New Mexico softball team capped the weekend with only two wins in five games.

Opening the tournament on Friday, the Lobos (15-11) lost its first two games in Fullerton, California with a 4-3 10-inning setback to Arkansas then a 6-1 decision to Alabama. For the second time this season UNM fell to the Razorbacks by only one run.

New Mexico responded Saturday with a 6-3 victory over a ranked foe, No. 23 Nebraska, benefitting from a four-run fifth inning against the Huskers. The Lobos continued that momentum to its second Saturday game with a three-run walk-off home run from Jasmine Casados in the 10th inning.

However, Saturday resulted in just the second scoreless outing for the Lobos in 2016 in a 2-0 loss to host Cal State Fullerton. The Lobos put up five hits in the shutout loss.

The Lobos open Mountain West play this week with a three-game series against Nevada. Game One is Thursday at Lobo Field.

Contact the Daily Lobo sports desk at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLoboSports.