Sophomore Carl Stajduhar slides into second base Tuesday night at Santa Ana Star Field against the NMSU Aggies. UNM finished the evening by beating NMSU 10-4. 

Baseball: Lobos rout NMSU 10-4

The Lobos now control the fate of the Rio Grande Rivalry.

Following Tuesday night’s 10-4 rout over their in-state rivals, UNM (30-13, 16-5 MW) now holds a 2-1 advantage over NMSU on the 2016 campaign.

James Harrington received the nod during the midweek contest at Santa Ana Star Field and threw a beauty, allowing just one run in the third that was counted towards a fielding error by Jared Holley.

Holley is normally the everyday second baseman for the Lobos, but spent the majority of the contest at third as sophomore Carl Stajduhar received a bit of a break from the field, hitting at the DH spot.

The run didn’t affect UNM’s sophomore righty out of Arizona, who plugged right along for his seventh win of the year. He allowed four hits, a walk, and recorded a strikeout over his 6.2 innings of work.

Stajduhar got things going for the Lobos with his two-out dinger over the wall in right at the bottom of the first inning. Even without power-hitting lefty Chris DeVito hitting in front of him, Stajduhar remained a forced to be reckoned by picking up another jack in the bottom of the fifth as part of his 2-for-3 day at the plate.

Stajduhar wasn’t the only UNM player to join the hit parade on Tuesday. Junior right fielder Andre Vigil also provided some flare out of the bottom of the lineup.

The two combined to provide an early exit for NMSU’s Dalton Shalberg (1-5) who allowed six runs in his five innings on the rubber. Only two of those harmed Shalberg’s ERA.

Vigil collected three hits on his day out of the six-hole for the Lobos, collecting an RBI and also scoring a run.

The remaining hits for UNM were spread throughout the lineup and came through in the later half of the ballgame.

During the fourth and fifth inning alone, the Lobo offense exploded to score four runs in each of the two frames, lighting up the scoreboard to a 10-1 advantage through seven innings.

Freshman Christian Tripp has been having his number called on quite a bit in the recent goings, as the coach has been trusting the tall righty to keep the game in reach in the middle stages of ballgames.

Tripp’s outing was not a great one this time around, but was still more than enough in his inning of work. He ended up allowing two earned runs in 1.1 innings on the mound, while striking out one and walking another.

Alex Estrella finished the game off in the ninth inning in a non-save situation. He allowed a run on 17 pitches, fanning two in the process.

The Lobos will take back to the road after enjoying a six game home-stand where they went 4-2, including a win over No. 7 Texas Tech.

Arizona State will be up next on the schedule as UNM continues non-league play this weekend. The first game of the series is scheduled for Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.