Letter: Even murderers can change their ways

On June 25, 1976, my grandparents, in rural Illinois, were murdered in their sleep. They were retired farmers in their 80’s.

Six years later, a young Anglo named Dale was arrested and confessed. Months after that, I wrote him, offering my forgiveness. He wrote me back – profoundly repentant for his terrible crime. The first time I visited Dale in prison, tears came to his eyes. He deeply appreciated my forgiveness and friendship. He suffered severe depression. He wrote letters of sincere apology in two area newspapers there. He yearned to get out of prison someday to prove to people he could live a changed life. I have 60 letters he wrote me before he committed suicide in prison in 1989.

U.S. presidents murder thousands of grandparents and children in war. Sadly, no U.S. president has publicly repented and apologized for his mass murders.

Dale murdered two people and demonstrated genuine repentance, but many church-going USAans who honor U.S. presidents would consider Dale a no-good devil. This is moral insanity!

I have stated in my will that if someone kills me, I ask my family and friends to offer forgiveness and friendship to that person.

I am no longer religious – I am agnostic. But I know no matter what evil we have done, with much help, we can wake up, we can change from our stupid, evil ways. That includes the young man who attacked me on Central Avenue in 2013.

Don Schrader

Daily Lobo reader