Baseball: Rough start on the hill hinders UNM in ASU opener

UNM lefty Carson Schneider’s rough start on the hill plagued UNM in a 9-5 loss in the series’ opener against Arizona State on Friday night.

The Sun Devils jumped all over the 6-foot-3-inch lefty in the first two innings, plating six to get put the Lobos in a big hole early on.

UNM would battle back scoring a run in the top of the fourth and fifth inning frames, thanks to sacrifices from Jack Zoellner and Luis Gonzalez, but ASU was not done scoring either.

With a 6-2 lead heading into the bottom of the sixth inning, a throwing error by sophomore Carl Stajduhar kept the Sun Devils’ lead going. ASU would score two more unearned runs before chasing Schneider out of the contest.

Schneider exited allowing eight runs (six earned), on 10 hits and two walks on 100 pitches. The tall lefty had won his past five decisions but saw that streak snapped and his record fall to 7-2 on the year.

ASU’s junior shortstop Colby Woodmansee proved to be a tough out for UNM as he led the Sun Devils’ offensive attack with two hits, and scoring three RBIs on the evening.

Junior righty Seth Martinez (7-3) received the call for ASU, throwing 6.2 innings, not allowing a single earned run with two committed errors in the fourth and fifth innings, the only runs on his stat line on Friday.

Game two of the series is scheduled for Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.