Freshman Issue: Best local job opportunities

Time management is a huge part of a college student’s life. Balancing classes, homework, studying, a social life and money can be stressful. Many college students have jobs to pay for their own tuition and housing. With time being such a huge factor in their lives, working close to the University is ideal.

Jobs located on campus are perfect for any college student. There's no commute, time is saved and, if a student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) grants it, a student can be considered for a work study award. This means the money earned for the job goes towards tuition and fees as well as other school or living expenses.

There are many options to choose from when looking for a job on campus.

Zimmerman Library is at the heart of the University of New Mexico, making it an easy walk from any direction on campus. The library has employees helping students with questions or needs in the library, handing out rentals, organizing and rearranging books and archives and much more. 

There is also a Starbucks located in the library, creating more job opportunities. They are open from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays and have shorter hours on the weekends allowing employees to set their work schedule around their school hours.

The UNM Bookstore offers many positions such as cashier and customer service assistant. It is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. all week, with shorter hours on Saturday.

The Student Union Building is another great option when looking for a job on campus. There are multiple opportunities in the SUB including food service, cashier jobs, and custodial jobs.

Outtakes, the on-campus convenience store, has multiple locations on campus creating more job opportunities for students in customer service.

All departments on campus often have reception jobs available to answer phone calls, emails or anything else needed for the department. A perk to these jobs and many other jobs on campus is the employers know their employee’s biggest priority is school, so on down time, homework and studying is allowed on the job.

There are not just jobs on campus, but around campus as well to ensure no time is wasted on travel.

The Frontier restaurant is right across the University, creating food service jobs for many college students. It is open from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. making the hours flexible for employees.

The same goes for McDonald's. It is right across from campus, but is open 24/7, allowing more hours for employees.

There is also a Jimmy John's, another fast food chain, very close to the University. It is open everyday from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Not only are there job opportunities in the restaurant, but delivery jobs as well.

Pizza 9 and Papa John's, like Jimmy John's, offer both in restaurant and delivery jobs and are located on Central Avenue right beside the campus.

Hotels are another hotspot for flexible schedules and students looking for employment close the the university. There are many hotels along Yale Boulevard offering receptionist jobs at all hours of the day.

It can be tough balancing a college student's schedule, but having a job either on or by campus can help students have more time for all the activities they're balancing.

Denicia Aragon is a staff reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com on Twitter @DailyLobo.