Redshirt senior safety Ryan Santos brings down a New Mexico State player October 3, 2015 at University Stadium. The Rio Grande Rivalry is the annual marque football game between UNM and NMSU.

Freshman Issue: Most hyped college sports rivalries

For any sport lover, rivalries are known to have a little bit extra heat, a tad more physicality and possibly some extra jabbering between plays. UNM is no stranger to the culture. Here are some of the most notable rivalries at the University:

Football

There is no question that the Rio Grande Rivalry between NMSU and UNM amidst football season is the most hyped event either schools experience annually.

It happens just once a year, alternating who gets to play host each season.

This year, the event will take place in Las Cruces, New Mexico. A large number of UNM students, fans and even people who simply want to take part in the huge party in anticipation for kickoff will attend.

Many individuals never actually make it into the game, instead spending it socializing during the tailgate.

For those who do make it into the gates and stay for the entire contest, they are rarely disappointed.

The Lobos have hoisted the in-state trophy between the only two Division-1 schools in New Mexico each of the past four years.

However, it has not been with ease. Just one of those contests was decided by less than two possessions, when UNM won by a dominating 66-12 score.

Bragging rights for an entire year should be enough to enjoy the significance of the largest rivalry of New Mexico’s football program.

This year’s matchup will take place Saturday, Sept. 10, with kickoff time TBD.

Volleyball

It’s hard to compare with the rivalry between UNM and NMSU football. However, when it comes to volleyball, one matchup in particular tends to stand out (usually twice a year), and that is with conference rival CSU.

Colorado State has dominated the matchups between the two schools. The Rams have won 51 of the total 73 matches when the two teams face off.

In fact, New Mexico hasn’t put together a winning effort against Colorado State since 2012 when UNM won a five-set thriller at home.

The Rams have been dominant in the Mountain West for some time, winning the Mountain West title seven years running.

However, the Lobos tend to heighten play when the two meet up, and the intensity alone is enough to make it the biggest rivalry for New Mexico’s volleyball program.

The two will play in Albuquerque on Thursday, Sept. 6, at 6:30 p.m. and again in Fort Collins, Colorado, on Nov. 5, with the timing of first serve still to be announced.

Women’s Soccer

For the women’s soccer team, it’s hard to determine a traditional rival between the two clubs, other than the Rio Grande Rivalry, of course.

However, in her first season as head coach of the women’s soccer team, Heather Dyche brought the squad to a much improved 10-8-2 record (7-3-1 in MW play).

Last season, New Mexico lost a 2-1 heartbreaker to San Jose State and fell again to the Spartans after a 1-1 score sent the two clubs into penalty kicks where San Jose prevailed 3-2.

The Spartans would then proceed to take the Mountain West tournament and the title in 2015.

It’s hard to argue that the next meeting - set for Friday, Sept. 30 at 5 p.m. - won’t be the most anticipated for UNM, as the Lobos will be looking to get revenge against the conference opponent.

Men’s Soccer

Being relatively new to Conference USA, the Lobos have not had enough time to form a truly heated rivalry.

However, as one of the most successful programs in all of UNM sports, the aspirations to be the best in a tough conference plays a role in how rivalries are formed.

After a disappointing season, the Lobos only mustered a 2-4-2 record in league play (8-6-4 overall). UNM ended up finishing in sixth place without a bid to the NCAA tournament.

Two matches that particularly stand out for New Mexico this season will be against last year’s top finishers.

The Charlotte 49ers were last year’s preseason favorites, and New Mexico had a difficult time against them, dropping the match 2-0 in 2015.

UNM also dropped a 1-0 loss to the Kentucky Wildcats in double overtime last season.

Though the men’s soccer schedule has not yet been released, UNM will be seeking revenge against the two teams this upcoming season to regain recognition as one of the best programs in the nation.

Liam Cary-Eaves is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers volleyball, women’s basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Liam_CE.