Freshman Issue: Failing social security impacts students

Social Security isn’t something UNM students think about often, but it's vital to their future and in danger of being cut.

DeAnza Valencia-Sapien, associate state director of advocacy at AARP, said if no congressional action is taken, Social Security benefits will have to be cut by 25 percent after 2034.

Valencia-Sapien said this reduction would affect younger generations, and the impact could be as serious as losing ten thousand dollars a year for some college students.

That’s why AARP has started the Take A Stand initiative to combat this possible reduction to Social Security that could eventually affect today's college-aged population. 

“The future is pretty clear,” Valencia-Sapien said. “We can’t wait until the last minute on this one, it’s too risky.”

The reduction to Social Security will be necessary for several reasons: people are living longer, more women are in the workplace, fewer people are entering the workforce and more earnings are above the wage gap.

“This debate is a federal issue, it’s a national issue,” Valencia-Sapien said. “We know this cliff is coming where there will have to be major changes.”

The driving force behind Take A Stand is the fact that the uncertain future of Social Security has not been at the forefront of the political agenda, she said.

With Take A Stand, AARP is determined to make sure political leaders and candidates don't ignore the issue.

In states with key primaries, AARP volunteers are chiming in and bird-dogging the candidates, raising the issue, Valencia-Sapien said.

“We’re saying, ‘if you think that you have the skills and leadership to be the president of the United States, you need to have a plan on Social Security,’” she said. “Basically, we ask them, ‘take a stand, give us your plan and we’ll put it on our website.’”

Plans were subsequently submitted to AARP by all remaining presidential candidates except Donald Trump, and can be viewed here.

“With this campaign, we’re not saying the plan should be X, Y or Z. We’re saying, ‘what’s your plan?’” Valencia-Sapien said.

She stressed that, as far as politics go, AARP is non-partisan.

“We do not endorse candidates, we do not fund candidates,” she said. “What we do is we engage our members on issues.”

Valencia-Sapien said the debate on social security that will occur in the next few years is paramount for UNM students

“What happens now, is going to effect you directly as in your future and your retirement,” she said. “This is your money, this is your future.”

She said there are several reasons young people should care more about Social Security. One big one is the fact that young workers now are already paying for their Social Security as payroll tax contributions are being taken out of their paychecks, whether they know it or not.

Nobody likes to worry about the future, and Social Security ensures a comfortable retirement with financial security and independence, Valencia-Sapien said.

It’s important for those younger generations that will be affected to understand that and get involved.

“Hearing from multiple constituency groups and multiple age ranges could take the Take a Stand initiative to the next level,” she said. “I think it changes the game.”

AARP Associate State Director of Communications Beth Velasquez said it’s hard for younger people and students to grasp the importance of fighting for social security now, especially with so many other things on their plate. 

“While retirement seems like it’s a long way off when you’re in college, you need to ensure that you have a comfortable future,” Velasquez said.

She said the first key for young people is paying attention to the issues, as well as being sure that your leaders are paying attention as well.

One way to help this cause and ensure an individual's future is to join the Take A Stand movement, Velasquez said.

“AARP represents people that are fifty and older, but a lot of the work we do affects consumers and individuals of all ages,” she said.

Velasquez and Valencia-Sapien said they hope to get some presidential visits to New Mexico for the upcoming primary so Take A Stand volunteers can communicate with some of the campaigns and drop off materials at local campaign offices.

“I think it's important that those leaders hear from the student population, that they are concerned about the issue as well,” Velasquez said. “It’s not going to affect people now, but it’s going to affect people in the near future.”

She said one of the simplest things a student could do is, if a candidate visits, “just stand up and ask the question: what’s your plan for social security?”

Valencia-Sapien said the bulk of AARP’s work is done by volunteers, members who choose to engage on various levels. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to volunteer with the Take A Stand initiative, especially younger people.

“Because it's their lives that are going to be the most impacted by the decisions that they’re making now,” she said. “We’re going to try to be as visible as possible on this issue and we would love to have some help creating visibility on that issue.”

That includes going to campaign offices, direct one-on-one visits, writing op-eds and letters to the editor and letting political leaders know that young people are concerned about social security.

“We’re going to continue to raise awareness and do everything we can as an organization at the state level and national level to make sure that something is done,” she said.

Anyone looking to volunteer can contact Deanza Valencia-Sapien at 505-946-3603 or via email at dvalencia@aarp.org.

Matthew Reisen is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@DailyLobo.