The Maine’s lead singer John O’Callaghan sings April 1, 2016 at Sunshine Theater. Sunshine Theater, located downtown, is one of many Albuquerque music venues that hosts local and international bands.

Freshman Issue: Popular local music venues

Whether raised as an Albuquerque native or moving in from out of state, it’s worth getting to know the music venues of the city. Albuquerque is slowly but surely becoming a niche destination for touring musicians from all over the world.

First off is Sunshine Theater, an intimate venue on the corner of Central Avenue and 2nd Street. The indoor venue is no secret by any means, as music enthusiasts often gather there for cheap ticket sales and numerous shows every week.

It’s quite varied in terms of genres: electronic, metal, rap and rock all loudly co-exist within its walls. It’s worth mentioning that the sound quality can be harsh at times, memorably at Bassnectar’s 2012 show which felt more like sensory overload than anything else.

Some upcoming concerts at Sunshine include Stephen Marley on June 8 as well as Fitz and The Tantrums on July 26.

The Co-op is further down Central Avenue, just west of Sunshine and offering more local and low-key gigs, in turn to more passionate crowds. The venue is owned by Rhett Butler who also operates Duke City Sound Stage, another small music locale that doubles as a recording studio for artists, as well as Rio Bravo Brewing Company which hosts shows for the 21-and-over crowd. 

It’s not uncommon to witness local indie bands Five Mile Float, Right on Kid and Ugly Robot jamming at The Co-op on Friday and Saturday nights.

As one peruses even further west downtown they’ll eventually hit The Launchpad, situated on 7th Street. Though equipped with a bar, most shows allow all ages to attend. Launchpad is known for being very cozy venue; no matter where you are, it will feel like the front row. Eagles of Death Metal exemplified that perfectly in August 2015, with lead signer Jesse Hughes freely conversing with people between and even during his songs.

Notable shows at the Launchpad this summer include Built To Spill playing on June 1 and The Fall of Troy on July 8.

The Journal Pavilion is the most suited locale for larger shows. After numerous name changes, the venue is now formally known as Isleta Amphitheater though few genuinely refer to it as that. It is Albuquerque’s largest music venue and can hold up to 15,000 people at a single event. The Journal is known to feature more rock and metal bands from the '80s and '90s though sometimes forays into more hip-hop and electronic shows, memorably at I.D. Fest in 2012.

The Journal is located south of the Sunport off Rio Bravo Boulevard. Check out Slipknot playing there on June 19th and G-Eazy & Logic on Jul 1st.

Lastly, it’s not surprising to hear music being played on campus. Student Special Events are known to hold daytime concerts outside the SUB from noon to 1 p.m., showcasing local indie bands such as Treehouse Basement and Ugly Robot. SSE is also in charge of the annual Fiestas music festival held on Johnson field which featured such acts as Brother Ali, Red Light Cameras and Del the Funkee Homosapien this year. 

Audrin Baghaie is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo.