Officers escort Joseph Gutierrez into a squad car after he barricaded and surrendered himself to SWAT Monday June 27, 2016 near UNM Stadium. The SWAT situation lasted two hours and was due to an outstanding federal warrant that Gutierrez possessed. 

SWAT situation unfolds near University Stadium

A LoboAlert distributed by UNM Police warned of a situation involving a SWAT team near University Stadium on Monday afternoon and alerted those in the area to the police activity.

29-year-old Joseph Gutierrez- wanted on a federal warrant - barricaded himself inside his home on Sunshine Terrace Avenue as police communicated with him to leave. Eventually, he, along with two other individuals in the house, peacefully surrendered.

The Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Department, as well as Albuquerque Police and Albuquerque Public Schools Police, were on hand from 1:30 pm until about 4:00 pm A second LoboAlert was issued at 3:50pm, stating that the situation had ended.

A spokeswoman for the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Department said Gutierrez was wanted for violation of probation, and that he was armed.

Members of Gutierrez’s family watched the situation unfold in front of Lowell Elementary School. His aunt, Valerie Romero, said Gutierrez barricaded himself because he was scared.

“He’s not a bad guy,” she said. “He would give the shirt off his back to anyone.”

Monica Armenta, executive director of communications, said in an e-mail to the Daily Lobo that while school was not in session at the time, there were employees in the building who were escorted out.

“The lockdown and eventual evacuation went well,” Armenta said.

While UNM Athletics Communications Director Frank Mercogliano said the University Stadium facilities are utilized by players during the summer, there is no regular practice being conducted.