Fiestas in 2010

Fiestas in 2010

History Repeats Itself: Decades later, Lobos still enjoying annual Fiestas

Viva el Espiritu de Fiesta

May 17, 1963

That unique hybrid, part Mexican, part Old Western, and part Nashvillian, UNM’s spring Fiesta opens today and by the time the last chaleco has been set aside Saturday night or early Sunday morning, the full whirl of the Fiesta schedule will have left the campus reeling.

The Fiesta Committee has lined up numerous entertainments and events to sate the most blasé of students.

Western wear required

Mariachi singers will entertain in the Union cafeteria all day Friday. Western clothes are required on campus; all students caught by the “possee” without them will spend fifteen minutes in the hoosegow in front of the Union. Permits exempting holders from wearing western clothes are available at the Union ticket booth for a dime.

Buses for students without transportation will be furnished to the University stadium area Friday evening starting at 6:30. There will be no charge for students and the buses will run every fifteen minutes. Bus stops are in front of the dormitories and at the corner of Yale and Roma. Activity tickets must be presented. Last bus will return at 12:45.

Coronation of the Fiesta royalty will take place at the stadium at 7. Spectators must enter the southeast corner of the stadium. King, Queen and four attendants will arrive on a stage coach.

The bonfire will take place east o the stadium immediately following the coronation. The King and Queen will start the bonfire which will ignite Professor Snarf. All spectators must stay outside the rope enclosure around the bonfire. The Midway will open following the Bonfire.

Admission to the Midway is $1 which also includes the dance. Activity tickets must be presented. Twenty campus organizations will sponsor booths offering a variety of games and refreshments. The Midway will close at midnight.

Hank Thompson Plays

The Friday night Dance will be held in the northeast corner of the Stadium from 8 to midnight. Hank Thompson and the Brazos Valley Boys, the nation’s number one western band, will play. Dress for the dance is western.

Saturday’s Fiesta Barbecue will be from noon to 2 behind Mesa Vista. All UNM students are invited. Students who live in the dormitory will be served free with their dorm meal ticket number. Anyone else may buy the meal for 90c. Barbecue beef burgers will be served with all the trimmings. The Herb Denish Trio will entertain.

The rodeo will start at 2 Saturday afternoon in Zimmerman field. Spectators should enter at the Yale entrance. Admission is 25c and activity tickets must be presented. Rodeo entrants must report to the check-in desk on the field by 2. Anyone not reporting will be disqualified. No refunds will be made. All events are now filled except the boot scramble which will remain open until the event starts. Entry fee for this event will be 50c.

More Rodeo

Other events in the rodeo are steer riding, calf riding, ribbon pull, barrel race, calf scramble, bulldogging, and calf tying.

The beard growing contest will be judged at the rodeo and the trophy will be warded.

Saturday night’s dance will feature the UNM Fanfare band and the Rooftop Singers, a popular young fold-singing group. Trophies for Campus Chest and the midway booths will be awarded during intermission.

The dance will last from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the Union Ballroom. Tickets sell for $1 at the door with activity cards.

ASUNM to host annual ‘Fiestas’ event

April 15, 2016

This weekend ASUNM Student Special Events (SSE) will be hosting its annual Fiestas, an all-day outdoor concert on Saturday starting at 1 p.m.

ASUNM puts on an event every year to celebrate the home stretch of the semester and give students a chance to relax before heading into finals.

Throughout the year, SSE has been asking students what they want at Fiestas this year. With student input, SSE decided to bring in Brother Ali for this year's headliner, with special appearances by Louis Futon, The Bright Light Social Hour, Jared & The Mill, Red Light Cameras, Luna Aura, The Riddims, Baracutanga, MountainHead and Akelli and Orion.

“We booked a more socially conscious headliner. Brother Ali raps about positive politics, he provides a more positive environment,” said SSE Executive Director Marshall Broyles.

Promotions Director Chance Hoover said the agency sought to bring variety to Fiestas, in an effort to make the entire day as fun as the headliner.

“I wanted to switch it up. It is a diverse community, a diverse artist and diverse sets. Not only do we have rap but we have world music in general, Latin, rock, reggae. Fiestas, in my eyes is all about diversity, it's not just one fiesta it's the Fiestas,” Hoover said.

Broyles said this year SSE got many requests from students asking for something other than an EDM headliner.

"So we brought Brother Ali, a hip-hop artist,” said Broyles

With last year’s Fiestas attracting more than 10,000 people, the largest turnout at the event since it began in the '60s, SSE is preparing for a large crowd and guaranteeing safety for everyone attending.

To that effort, security will be doubled to ensure safety for everyone attending the event, Broyles said. Upon entry, there will be bag checks and breathalyzers.

There will also be a six-foot tall fence around Johnson Field, with security in parking lots as well as throughout the festival, he said.

“We want to have fun, but we want to have fun in a safe way,” Hoover said.

Fiestas will be free for UNM students, as funding is provided via student fees.

“The Fiestas are for the students by the students. When students pay for their student fees, part of that money goes to ASUNM agencies and so part of that goes to SSE,” Broyles said.

He said he hopes the event keeps students in good spirits with the end of the semester looming.

“Basically we organize Fiestas to allow an opportunity for students to kick back and take a break from all their schoolwork,” Broyles said. “What better way to do that than with great and diverse music, a rock wall, mechanical bull, human hamster balls along with food trucks and student organization booths?”