History Repeats Itself: UNM's tradition of honoring outstanding academics

Professor awarded fellowship

April 27, 1993

Political Science Professor Roger Morris knows more about former President Richard Nixon than anyone would ever want to know. And he’s being honored for his latest book on the fallen politician.

Morris, who has taught at UNM for three years, has been awarded a 1993 Guggenheim Fellowship for the second volume of his biography of Nixon.

Morris, whose academic specialty is in presidential politics, said he chose to write about Nixon “not because he’s such an interesting person in and of himself,” but because he is a typical post-World War II politician.

“I want to convey what has really happened in American politics since the 1940s, when Nixon’s career began,” Morris said. “I want to give American readers a sense of how leadership makes a difference, to show that we are all products of the men and women who lead us.”

Morris said that although Nixon’s career ended in 1975, he has “been with us ever since.”

He credits Nixon with starting the political careers of former President George Bush as well as current members of Congress and the Supreme Court.

“Looking at Nixon really enables us to look at a long-term political process,” Morris said. “His involvement encompasses two or three generations of Americans who grew up in turbulent times.”

The second volume of Morris’s biography examines Nixon’s political career from 1952 to 1960, when he served as vice president under Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Morris said he had plans to finish the book this year and hopes to see it published by the end of 1994.

The first volume, published in 1990, chronicled Nixon’s career from 1946 to 1952. The third volume will examine Nixon’s presidency and his subsequent involvement in the Watergate scandal.

“But I’m not even thinking about that yet,” Morris said.

Morris is also working on a book that will be published when he finished the Nixon series. The book, which he hopes to finish this summer, will chronicle President Clinton’s first 150 days in office.

“I don’t know if I’ll get a Guggenheim for this one,” Morris said. “I just take it one book at a time and see where it goes.”

The John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation appoints Fellows on past achievements and promise for future accomplishments in an artistic or academic field.

University of New Mexico professor honored with Eisenberg Award

January 26, 2016

Ian Rabinowitz, a professor in UNM’s Division of Hematology/Oncology, has been honored with the 2016 Eisenberg Award.

According to a UNM Health Sciences Center press release, the award honors a New Mexican cancer survivor whose work with Cancer Services of New Mexico has benefited other New Mexican cancer patients.

"Dr. Rabinowitz made tremendous contributions to Cancer Services of New Mexico before he began his personal cancer journey, and he has continued to be an important part of our organization since his diagnosis,” the statement quoted CSNM President Kathleen Kreider as saying.

Rabinowitz, who is the director of UNM’s Hematology/Oncology Fellowship program, became the founding member of CSNM’s Medical Advisory Board in 2001, according to the press release.

He played a crucial role in helping CSNM develop a strong bond with oncologists across New Mexico.

“His familiarity with New Mexico’s cancer community helped shape development of the Family Cancer Retreat, a nationally recognized educational program that has become CSNM’s signature program. It provides New Mexico’s adult cancer patients and their loved ones with tools and information they need to manage the treatment and survival process,” the statement said.

According to the press release, Rabinowitz said that CSNM has rendered tremendous services to the cancer patients of New Mexico.

He said he was proud to be a part of CSNM.

According to the statement, Eisenberg Award was created in 2014 in honor of Gary Eisenberg, an Albuquerque attorney who was diagnosed with cancer and went through extensive treatment during the 12 years he served as the legal counsel on CSNM’s Board of Directors.