Jane Yoon a resident at UNM hospital studies at Deep Space Coffee Saturday afternoon. Deep Space Coffee is a popular place for UNM students to study.

Great spots for students to unwind and cool off during summer

High temperatures keep many students inside during the summer. For those feeling cooped up in their apartment or dorm, there are plenty of places to spend time around UNM and downtown that offer more than just sought-after air conditioning.

Businesses around UNM and just down the street are open for students to meet, get a cup of coffee, a bite to eat or unwind from summer studying with a drink.

1. Annapurna

A great option for vegetarians and others seeking fresh, organic food free of allergens. Many come to Annapurna skeptical about vegetarian food, owner Yashoda Naidoo said, and later embrace it after enjoying a nourishing meal within the restaurant's Zen-like atmosphere.

Students looking to escape the crowded campus during the semester can enjoy the quiet at Annapurna with a cup of signature chai.

2. Cheba Hut

With national locations mainly around university areas, the cannabis-themed restaurant Cheba Hut caters largely to students. Every Monday, students can get free chips and a drink by showing their Lobo ID.

Cheba Hut also hosts a back-to-school party on their patio where customers can enjoy live music and get food and beer at discounted prices. There will be giveaways and raffles where customers can receive free merchandise and glassware.

Whether you partake in the marijuana culture or not, you can choose from a variety of sandwiches prepared in a sanitized kitchen within the restaurant's laid-back setting.

3. The Grain Station

Hip-hop, grunge, and funk music along with hip décor creates a trendy vibe at The Grain Station. Students can feel like their hanging out at a friend’s house while they enjoy a burger, philly cheesesteak or bratwurst. 

Summer specials include $3 local crafts weekdays from 3-6 PM.

4. Winnings Coffee

Students can either experience a peaceful place to study or a bustling crowd of activity at Winnings Coffee. Mornings and late afternoons at Winnings are fairly calm, owner Richard Van Shouwn said, while the coffee shop turns into a three-ring circus of poets, artists, musicians, and political activists midday. 

Customers can buy a wide array of books on sale from a pop-up book store at Winnings every Monday and Wednesday as well.

5. Sahara Middle Eastern Eatery

Those seeking the familiar can get a gyro sandwich or falafel, while people who would like to try something exotic can get a Lebanese plate with basmati rice and hummus. The eatery also has a Turkish coffee flavored with a smoky spice, and customers can see belly dancing at the restaurant every last Saturday of every month.

6. Boese Brothers Brewery

Those looking to venture away from the University can go downtown to enjoy originally-crafted beer. Boese has a comedy open-mic every Sunday, while on Taco Tuesday a classically-trained Salvadorian chef cooks barbecue on the patio. A 16-team wall-hooky tournament takes place Wednesday’s at Boese, and participants can win Firenze pizza and beer-related prizes. if all that doesn’t convince you, a pop-up style Tibetan kitchen sets up on Thursdays, along with the fresh release of a newly-crafted beer.

7. Deep Space Coffee

Students looking to get caffeinated downtown can go to a spot where each bean is roasted to profile. While Deep Space focuses on delivering high-quality coffee, the business prides itself on its service philosophy of being humble and kind. Students can be inspired by the particularly stunning design of the space of this coffee shop, or catch classical, flamenco, and original music by local guitarist Gabriel Fuentes on Sundays.

8. Zendo

Another place to get quality coffee and atmosphere downtown. Customers can sit down and talk to anyone and by the time they leave they’ll meet someone doing amazing work in the community, owner Pilar Westell said. Many Zendo baristas are artists, which contributes to the coffee shop’s unique vibe and aesthetic. 

Customers can enjoy an iced blood-orange rooibos tea or a standard cold brew within a space of minimalist design, painterly artwork, and chic fashion. Zendo also regularly hosts art openings that gain large attendance.

9. Side Track Brewery

When you want to come down from your caffeine buzz at Zendo, you can walk right next door. While many local breweries serve overly-hopped, extremely bitter versions of IPA, Side Track accommodates the palette with beers that are easy to drink, owner Dan Herr said. 

You won’t find blasting televisions or an unruly crowd at this neighborhood pub, but you can catch movies like The Goonies or Ferris Bueller's Day Off on the big screen of their patio every other Saturday.

10. The Brew

For those burnt out on classes, this spot offers Nitro Cold Brew, a coffee with three times the amount of caffeine in a regular cup of coffee. In addition, first Friday art openings at The Brew feature various live music acts from DJ’s to acoustic guitarists. During finals week, students don’t have to go downtown to get a strong dose of caffeine to study, as Nitro Cold Brew is served at the UNM SUB.

11. Sister Bar

You can play Foosball, pinball or classic arcade games, order a cock-tail from an expert mixologist and even catch a national-touring music act, all in the same night at this eclectic venue. Sister Bar has a free funk and soul night once a month where DJ Left Over Soul spins classic tunes that bring a large crowd to the dance floor. 

Sister also hosts Moonstone Pop-up, a flea market of vintage clothing, local artwork and old records where customers can find a variety of lightly-used gems.

12. Tablao Flamenco Albuquerque

Located within Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town, this local venue showcases live flamenco performances. Tablao also serves cocktails, wine, beer, and sangria along with traditional Spanish tapas. Students can get tickets to see flamenco dancers from Spain and the U.S. for 25 percent off Thursday through Sunday.