Football: Lobos picked to finish fifth for 2016 campaign

The preseason polls are in and New Mexico has been selected to finish fifth in the Mountain West and two defenders have made the cut for preseason All-Mountain West.

Just one year following its first bowl appearance since 2007, the Lobos have been selected to finish fifth in the Mountain West’s Mountain Division. Last season, New Mexico was tied with four other teams for a second place finish.

Seniors Dakota Cox and Nik D’Avanzo were voted to the preseason all-conference squad by members of the league media. It is the first time two defensive players have made the preseason roster since 2010 when Carmen Messina and Jonathan Rainey made the team.

Cox and D’Avanzo just missed out last year on making the All-Mountain West team last year as both received an honorable mention last year by the coaches around the conference. Cox could make history should he lead the team in tackles this year. No other player in program history has led the team in tackles all four seasons.

For the team as a whole, UNM will be forced to play the role of the underdog as Boise State was picked by 27 of 29 first place votes totaling 172, Air Force was chosen second, with two first place votes and a total score of 126, Utah State (3) garnered 11, CSU (4) took 95, UNM (5) with 74, and wrapping up the division is Wyoming with 31.

Rank

Team

First Place Votes

Points

1

Boise State

27

172

2

Air Force

2

126

3

Utah State

111

4

Colorado State

95

5

New Mexico

74

6

Wyoming

31