Fall Mid-Week Movie Preview

Going to the movies these days can be pricey.

Unless you skip that Friday morning biology class to get to the matinee showing for a flick you’ve been waiting months to watch, a trip to the cinema can easily cost upwards of $20 with concessions.

Going with a date and you’re paying? Well, there goes the money you had set aside for groceries this week.

No one should have to starve themselves in the name of good cinema. Luckily, the UNM SUB has released its Mid-Week Movie schedule for the fall semester, comprised of selections from over the summer.

A student ticket, drink and popcorn at the UNM Theater – located at the bottom floor of the SUB – will cost you around $5.50, but the satisfaction from seeing your entertainment budget for the month? Priceless.

Here is a guide to the movies you can catch this semester, and the perfect type of person for each.

Captain America: Civil War

Aug. 23-25, free for everyone

For the student starting the semester off in typical college fashion: with an empty wallet

Are your entertainment options limited this month because of that $500 you just spent on books? Did a summer-ending trip to California blow your budget for the month? Don’t worry, because the first Mid-Week Movie of the year is free for everyone – just make sure you get to the theater early.

Civil War is the latest entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and also one of the best-reviewed movies from the summer, with a solid 90 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Check it out, then start thinking of ways to save money for that new Spider-Man costume you plan on getting for Halloween.

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Aug. 30-Sept. 1

For the eye candy enthusiasts

Tim Burton’s imagination has been one of the most consistently vivid in Hollywood for decades, and his latest – a sequel to 2010’s hit – is no exception.

Boasting bright colors, inventive character designs and Johnny Depp’s enduring eccentric personality, Alice is one you might later regret not catching on the (semi) big screen.

X-Men: Apocalypse

Sept. 6-8

For the one who refuses to succumb to franchise fatigue

Watching the X-Men fight the latest global threat has become an almost annual affair at this point. This decade alone, there have been five films in the franchise if you count Deadpool, and if you’re still excited about seeing what the team of superhero mutants can do next, you’ll have the opportunity.

And if you really don’t want to fall behind on these films? Make sure to catch Apocalypse, because the next Wolverine film is slated to come sometime in 2017.

The Legend of Tarzan

Sept. 13-15

For the one who kept forgetting this movie exists

First time you’re hearing about this movie? You wouldn’t be the only one.

Marketing for the latest Tarzan iteration was essentially non-existent, and it showed at the box office, making about $55,000 less than it cost to make.

So put this date in your phone calendar, planner calendar, iPad calendar and wall calendar to prevent you from forgetting about it again.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

Sept. 20-22

For the Zac Efron faithful

Zac Efron has become a formidable comedic force, with two Neighbors films, Dirty Grandpa, and That Awkward Moment hitting cinemas in recent years.

Here he joins up with Anna Kendrick of Pitch Perfect fame to bring the laughs once again.

Finding Dory

Sept. 27-29, kids free with a paying adult

For the one who unashamedly sheds tears in the name of Pixar

We’ve all loved Pixar for years, but recently the animation giant has perfected the formula for tugging at our heartstrings while still bringing the laughs and top-notch visuals.

Their latest is the much-awaited sequel to one of the studio’s most enduring films, and one which continues the trend of making pathos a big factor in their films.

Bring the tissues to this one.

Star Trek: Beyond

Oct. 4-6

For the one who needs proof that threequels can work

People don’t give sequels of successful films enough credit – they’ve got a lot to live up to.

Granted, more often than not they don’t work (See: Independence Day: Resurgence, The Matrix Reloaded). The third film in a franchise, more often than not, is a throwaway, a necessary goodbye to a series.

Thankfully, the latest Star Trek film bucks that trend, providing a rollercoaster ride of fun, humor and nods to the original series and previous films in the franchise. It pulls off the near-impossible, and actually leaves you wanting more from the series.

The BFG

Oct. 18-20, kids free with a paying adult

For the one who looks at Steven Spielberg as a deity

Steven Spielberg has been a consistent, influential force in cinema ever since crafting the iconic Jaws in 1975.

That being said, he has his misses, including The BFG, which failed to make an impact with many critics or at the box office. So if you can watch and enjoy his latest entry, you can call yourself a true fan of Spielberg who believes he can do no wrong.

Ghostbusters

Oct. 25-27

For the one looking to rescue a beloved franchise

A modernized Ghostbusters entry has been much anticipated for years, and in 2016 we finally got a third film in the franchise.

Unfortunately, while the film was well-received among critics, it didn’t even break even at the box office. Want to help ensure future entries in the franchise? Check out this film.

The Secret Life of Pets

Nov. 1-3, kids free with a paying adult

For the ones looking for a change from Pixar

Brought to movie lovers by Illumination Entertainment, The Secret Life of Pets is an unexpectedly fun time with impressive voice work and engrossing animation.

If Pixar is all you’ve checked in to lately when it comes to animation, make sure to make it out to this film, which checks all the boxes for quality animated entertainment.

Sausage Party

Nov. 8-10

For the one who embraces the cringeworthy

There’s a reason this one isn’t also free for kids. The fact that this is brought to us by Seth Rogen is all you need to know about Sausage Party, full of his trademark raunchiness and no-holds-barred narratives.

If you never look at your food the same way again, this movie will have done its job.

Suicide Squad

Nov. 15-17

For the one who swears DC can get it right

While Marvel continues to put out critical and box office hit after hit, DC is struggling to catch up.

Suicide Squad continues the trend of critically-maligned entries in the franchise, but if you’re looking for any reason to be excited or at least hold you over until the upcoming Justice League and Wonder Woman films, here it is.

Jason Bourne

Nov. 29-Dec. 1

For the one who still loves old school action

Matt Damon returns to the franchise that made him a household name in this fourth Bourne film.

With superhero films dominating theaters these days, it can be tough to find a more realistic, simplistic action flick that delivers on the same levels of intensity. Finish off the semester by catching Jason Bourne if you prefer car chases and gunfights to superhuman abilities and space battles.

Full schedules, showtimes and prices for the UNM Theater can be found at movies.unm.edu.