Local eatery helps alleviate Scribendi's financial obstacles

Scribendi finds itself operating on a bit of an empty stomach after having its funding cut by the Associated Students of UNM in the spring.

One local business offered its help over the weekend – by filling the stomachs of hungry patrons. 

“It has been really touching," said Melissa Krukar, managing editor of Scribendi, which is created by UNM Honors College students. "We planned on reaching out to the community, but the community reached out to us first."

Bistronomy B2B, located in Nob Hill, heard about the publication’s situation and approached the Scribendi team to help, according to Editor-in-Chief Alexandra Magel. 

The result of the collaboration: a fundraiser, held at the burgers and beer joint on Sunday, where a portion of proceeds from customers will be donated to the magazine, which primarily needs help with printing costs. 

MORE: Scribendi was defunded by ASUNM in the spring after officials concluded it didn't have the structure of a student organization

Bistronomy B2B Manager Sham Naik said the business is no stranger to fundraising for whoever needs it. Since the eatery opened four years ago, it has been hosting similar events, with 25 percent of proceeds going to nonprofits in the area.

"We do anything we can to help nonprofit organizations such as Scribendi," Naik said. "We feel it went well." 

The restaurant encourages UNM student nonprofit organizations to look at its website to schedule potential events in its mission to be as philanthropic as it can be. as they try to help as many nonprofit organizations as they can.

Krukar worked with B2B to make sure Sunday's fundraiser was a success, Magel said, adding that they will be able to find out how much was made in a few weeks.

“Eat a Burger, Save an Artist: Scribendi Fundraiser,” read the event's Facebook page. “Because burgers are delicious and creativity is awesome.”

“We were really honored by all the people who came out to support us. We saw lots of faculty and students who have been supportive in the past, and some new faces as well,” Magel said. “As a whole, we’ve been really touched by the response from the UNM community and the alumni.”

Scribendi, an installation at the Honors College for 30 years, publishes works of short fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, visual art, photography, foreign language, and open media in one publication that comes out every spring. 

In past years, Scribendi published contributions from students whose programs were part of the Western Regional Honors Council. This year, the magazine is including the National Collegiate Honors Council.

“The short version is that we’re now taking submissions from honors students all across the nation,” Magel said.

The way Scribendi helps writers is two-fold.

The first is that it allows contributors an opportunity to publish work in a nationally recognized magazine, which not only gets them exposure, but also allows them to get a foot in the door if they want to continue publishing their work, Magel said.

The second is for Scribendi staff, who are able to notice and take stock of trends in what people are writing and otherwise producing content about. This allows them to recognize elements in works that they may try for themselves, Magel said. Analyzing different works brings a greater awareness of what’s out there and how it affects their own writing.  

The different mediums that the works encompass only contribute to that effort to seeing subjects from new perspectives. 

After finding out the magazine wasn't going to be funded in the spring, Magel said the staff began brainstorming fundraising ideas, sometimes borrowing from previous staff, such as the Publication Fair that Scribendi puts on once a year. This year, the fair will be in September or early October.  

Krukar said staff members are currently involved in other various forms of fundraising.

One example is the Marigold Parade, which Scribendi attends yearly during Dia De Los Muertos to sell sugar skulls, she said.

There are more fundraising events to come, Magel said, including a silent auction during Homecoming, which will be held later this semester.

Scribendi representatives said they are looking forward to collaborating with several organizations on campus, such as the Honors Student Association, to organize on-campus events to help the magazine reach its financial goal. There is also a crowdfunding event in the works, with more details to come soon.