Senior linebacker Donnie White (54) attempts to take down Arizona's Anu Solomon during the 2015 Gildan New Mexico Bowl. The Lobos will focus on secondary teams to ramp up their defense for the 2016 season. 

Football: Secondary improvement to generate stronger defensive play

The Lobo secondary could be one of the keys to success in 2016 with improving defense.

Head coach Bob Davie said the safety position is one where a few players have separated themselves. He said Ryan Santos and Daniel Henry are ahead of the pack at this time.

Davie also said he hoped Isaiah “I.B.” Brown could stay healthy so his impact can be felt on the field.

“We need I.B., he brings a certain energy and a certain spirit,” Davie said. “When (Brown) is healthy and flying around, he adds not only the 11th guy on our defense but brings a little bit of the 12th man thing.”

He said another key for Brown, in addition to health, is to remain consistent. As a player that seems to play with a lot of emotion, avoiding highs and lows could be a challenge.

Santos said he plays a little more on the quiet side, but their juxtaposing personalities are a perfect fit in the secondary. He said Brown keeps the corners “juiced up” and Henry, a team captain, is another vocal leader.

He said Dakota Cox, one of the other team captains, does everything by the books and leads by example. Santos said Henry does the same — you just hear him more.

The communication between the defensive backs seems to be improving as well. Santos was able to track the quarterback when he realized he had underneath help, and jumped a route to intercept a pass in practice.

Brown said he can see the chemistry coming together as the defense is flying around. He said the main thing he is expecting for the upcoming season is to have fun.

“Once I stop screaming and jumping up and down, it ain’t fun (anymore),” he said. “We just want to come out and win as many games as possible.”

Having fun on defense could come in the form of creating turnovers and scoring opportunities for the offense. Cranston Jones and Markel Byrd were ball hawks last season, combining for seven interceptions.

Henry also came up big down the stretch, creating two forced fumbles and notching a pair of fumble recoveries last season. He appears be more adept now at going for a strip when given the chance.

Lee Crosby is vying to be another leader in the secondary. He registered a pair of interceptions last year, and also forced and recovered a fumble.

Jadon Boatright has also had a solid spring practice and could make an impact in the defensive rotation. He has shown a lot of discipline, especially in defending the deep ball, by staying with his receiver and locating the pass when he turns his head.

Davie said creating turnovers on defense and limiting them on offense has been something the team has focused on intently. He said the way the team has been practicing is encouraging.

The team and Lobos fans will see if the team’s offseason work pays off when the team takes its game from the practice turf nto Branch Field in the season opener against South Dakota on Thursday.