Attendees of the March 8, 2016, Albuquerque Rapid Transit meeting look through diagrams that explain various aspects of ART at the Kiva Auditorium. The transit system is projected to begin construction in September, with city officials guaranteeing that one lane of traffic will stay open during construction.

ABQ, UNM making plans to ensure traffic runs smoothly during ART project

Construction for the Albuquerque Rapid Transit is expected to begin in early September, and the city and UNM are making plans to ensure traffic runs smoothly during the project.

Detailed plans are in place, designed to keep one lane of traffic open in each direction during construction, said ART Spokeswoman Joanie Griffin.

Griffin said the construction will not impact parking and that there will be crosswalks and walkways to UNM during the entire construction period.

“We are in contact with both UNM’s transportation services and marketing department,” she said. “As construction happens that will impact UNM, people will be notified via the UNM communication methods — including website, email and signage.”

Griffin said students should be prepared for slower traffic despite the steps that are being taken to prevent frustration and potential accidents.

“(Construction) will slow traffic, and people should plan accordingly and allow extra time to get to UNM as well as plan alternate routes when possible,” she said.

Griffin said construction for ART — which will run along Central Avenue from Coors Boulevard to Louisiana Boulevard — is scheduled to last 14 months, though the area surrounding UNM will be impacted for a much shorter period of time.

For students that use alternative modes of transportation, Griffin said all ABQ Ride buses will still run during construction, including Rapid Ride.

Albuquerque is also coordinating with UNM Parking and Transportation Services (PATS) for students who use services such as the various shuttles to get to campus, she said.

PATS Director Barbara Morck said the University’s shuttles will still be running during construction, but advises that they allow for some more time to arrive and leave campus.

“The construction along Central doesn’t affect our shuttles as much as buses, but turning off Central is challenging, so they cannot be as time efficient as they were,” she said.

Although her department has to attend more meetings due to the current construction on Central as well as in preparation for ART, Morck said everyone shares information with each other to better help traffic flow.

During these meetings, she said an overall strategy is created and adjustments are made. One such adjustment is student parking, Morck said. If parking is lost in one lot, adjustments are made to find parking elsewhere.

“It may affect people in the A lot for a short amount of time and overall it will affect everyone,” she said.

Students and faculty can sign up for ART alerts at BRTABQ.com, Griffin said. On this website, the project’s team will provide consistent updates on construction, alternate routes, schedules and special events.

Morck said UNM will also communicate directly with students, staff and faculty through social media and other means.

To students who walk, both Morck and Griffin caution to be careful around construction zones, saying it is especially important to utilize designated crosswalks so as not to inadvertently enter construction areas.

“If there is an area that is potentially not safe, instead cross the street or go a different direction. If you can avoid a bad situation, by all means do so,” Morck said.

Morck also encouraged students to find alternate routes to school that might be quicker.

“If you have a way of avoiding Central, do that,” she said. “After all, why make yourself more stressed out than you have to be?”