Letter: Expensive campus parking offers no security for students' vehicles

My sister is a UNM student who lives on campus in the newest dorms. Her car was stolen last night from one of the dorm lots (on Sept. 19), which is also one of the more expensive lots. This is a problem on campus and happens 1 to 3 times a week, the officer said.

There are no cameras, and it is not as secure as promised. Students are encouraged to live on campus and assured that it is secure. Thousands of dollars are paid even if you do have a scholarship to attend UNM, and this scenario still happened sometime between 3 and 10 p.m. closest to the dorms where there are other dorms and people surrounding the parking structure.

Since there are no cameras there, there will never be any indication on whom it was or if it could be an inside job, since there is so much traffic and also living quarters surrounding the area. I am suggesting this story not strictly for the purpose in hopes of finding the car, but more so to spread awareness to future parents, and students who are planning to live on campus or already do.

In a way it is false advertising to encourage students to live here when this is a common crisis. If so much money is paid for a parking pass, what exactly are you paying for if there is no security? There are so many other fees paid throughout the semester already.

Thank you,

Sarah Yocum

UNM student