Junior running back Richard McQuarley pushes himself into the Lobos end zone to score a touch down Thursday Sept. 1, 2016 at University Stadium.

Football: Lobo mom beams with pride for her son

New Mexico junior running back Richard McQuarley has been consistent in the running game so far, but he got to do something for the first time earlier this season — play in front of his mother as a Lobo.

Head coach Bob Davie said the season opener was special for the running back, because his mother, Sharon McQuarley, flew in from Mississippi to make the game.

But her trip was not without incident. Head coach Bob Davie said the plane had to turn back due to engine troubles, and McQuarley’s mother ended up stranded in Houston for much of the day.

Sharon McQuarley said it was her first time flying and she was held over for about five hours, but as long as she got to see her son, it was all worth the wait.

She said it was exciting to see all of the players and loved seeing her son play.

Richard McQuarley got off to a rocky start, though. However, his early fumble was redeemed after finding the end zone twice against South Dakota.

The running back said he learned at an early age from his mother, and later from coaches, that after something bad happens, he has to “flip the page.”

“After I fumbled, it kind of hurt me,” he said. “But at the same time, I realized that my mom didn’t fly all the way here for the first time to see me have a downfall.”

The running back said he took responsibility for the mistake and told his team that he would make up for it, and went on to put on a show for his mother.

His two touchdown runs helped New Mexico pull away in the 48-21 victory over South Dakota.

During her trip, Sharon McQuarley said her son took her up to the Sandia Mountains. She said they were going to ride the tram, but there were too many people.

She also said she got to see the campus and thought that it, and the city of Albuquerque, was absolutely beautiful.

Richard McQuarley’s mother said she remembered sitting on the balcony the next day and telling her son that she didn’t want to go anywhere. She said she would’ve been content just to look at the mountains all day.

Richard McQuarley, who came to Albuquerque from Meridian, Mississippi, joined the Lobos after Davie recruited him from Itawamba Community College.

His mother said she knew New Mexico was the place for him after Davie spent all day with her son and made a three hour trip to spend the rest of the day with her.

Sharon McQuarley said that if she agreed to send her son, she wanted Davie to treat him like he was one of his own.

“I know that they have a special relationship and that means a lot to me,” she said.

Davie said the athletes in the backfield are all asked to play different roles, and Richard McQuarley is a very productive player.

Richard McQuarley, who has averaged a healthy five yards per carry this season, is tied for the team lead among running backs with four touchdowns and has scored in all three games.

His mother is well-aware of his statistics and knew the exact yardage her son picked up on a late score in his most recent game against Rutgers.

The running back’s 22-yard scamper in a critical third down situation pulled the Lobos to within 31-28, but New Mexico could not complete the comeback and lost 37-28, dropping the team to 1-2 on the season.

On just 11 carries in the last two games, Richard McQuarley has picked up 64 yards and scored a pair of touchdowns.

Sharon McQuarley said she is proud of all the hard work her son is doing in the classroom as well. She said he is always in a lab doing homework, and earning good grades has never been a problem for him.

She said her son has been playing football since he was eight years old, and has always been dedicated. The game has provided discipline and a strong work ethic and it has made him a very mature man, Sharon McQuarley said.

Richard McQuarley’s mother said the people on campus that may never get the opportunity to meet her son should know that he has a big heart and is an exceptional man that would help anyone he could.

Sharon McQuarley said she plans on seeing her son play again in the Oct. 15 matchup against Air Force. The game will take place at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, which is much closer to her and the family.

Hopefully, it will be an easier trip as well.

Robert Maler is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers cross country, football, tennis, and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.