A trail at the top of the Sandia Mountains leads hikers around the peak to various locations to hike. Hikers can even take a tram to trails, drive or hike up the mountain itself. 

Fall Break getaway options

Even though Fall Break at UNM consists of only two days and a weekend, students can still take advantage for a quick getaway. Whether you’re from New Mexico or not, it’s a great place to catch the vibrant autumn colors.

With the last warmth of summer quickly fleeing and the cold winter creeping in, this is the best time to get outside for some last minute adventures in the gorgeous New Mexico landscape. Go hiking, bust out the barbeque and take in the colorful leaves.

Local Getaways

Around Santa Fe

Packed with culture, Santa Fe is one of New Mexico’s most desirable vacation spots any time of year, but fall is the perfect time to get to the Santa Fe National Forest for the colorful mountain scenery.

Lake, river and stream areas like the Pecos, Jemez and Gallina are great for hiking and fishing. There are also numerous Indian Pueblos, Missions and archaeological ruins nearby. Meow Wolf, a legendary art and music space featuring a fantastic living museum, is also a great stop along the way.

The Gila Forest

Like Santa Fe, the Gila National Forest is ideal for hiking with its scenic landscape. It’s a great camp spot, and the Catwalk Recreation Area is now open with picnic areas.

The Sandias

The “watermelon mountains,” located largely within Cibola National Forest, are the icons of central New Mexico, and another vacation stop that’s close by. If you don’t want to take the road up the mountain you can ride the tram, and once at the top there’s countless hiking trails, like the popular La Luz Trail, and other attractions like the High Finance restaurant, a gift shop, a large electronic communications site and one of the best views in the state.

Carlsbad

Carlsbad Caverns National Park is a classic New Mexico tourist spot. Carlsbad is a quick trip on an easy budget, and the legendary caverns offer some of the most spectacular natural formations in the Land of Enchantment.

Take a guided tour or wander through the twists and turns on your own, discovering mind-blowing sights like the Big Room — the largest room in the caverns, stretching one mile.

A Little Further

Colorado

Make it a road trip to the San Juan Skyway for the outdoor color. The Skyway is a 236-mile loop through the San Juan Mountains and offers spectacular views of the changing leaves. There is a also the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad that offers train rides following a path of brilliant fall colors.

The Grand Canyon

If you’re up for a six hour drive, another nearby destination is the Grand Canyon National Park. Enjoy lodging, camping, and sightseeing at the South Rim, North Rim or the Grand Canyon Skywalk. Horseback and donkey tours deep into the canyon are also available, as well as rafting excursions on the Colorado River below.

It’s surprising the places one can travel to in the span of just a few days. Albuquerque is the perfect starting point for any day trip or fall-break excursion in New Mexico. Beauty and adventure is out there, you just need to look.

Savanna Molina is a culture reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com.