Provocative speaker plans to visit UNM

Self-styled journalist and polarizing “alt-right” figurehead Milo Yiannopoulos has accepted an invitation from UNM’s Young Americans for Liberty to speak in the SUB on Jan. 27.

However, “due to the partisan nature of Milo’s talks,” UNM College Republicans will be the group that officially plays host to the speaking engagement, according to UNM College Republicans Chairman Ryan Ansloan, who is also UNM YAL vice president.

Yiannopoulos , who currently serves as tech editor for the far-right, web-based publication Breitbart News, made headlines earlier this year when he was permanently banned from Twitter in an attempt by the social media company to crack down on abusive internet trolling.

The gay, British free speech fundamentalist is an adamant critic of political correctness, feminism and an array of social justice movements.

He has also suggested that liberal hoaxes are to blame for the uptick in hate crimes reported around the country in the wake of this year’s presidential election outcome.

Though he is now banned from Twitter, Yiannopoulos has been welcomed — and protested — on dozens of college campuses across the country, as part of what he has coined the “Dangerous Faggot Tour.”

In a recent Breitbart column, Yiannopoulos expressed his hope that the tour will serve as the first wave in a conservative, libertarian counterattack to progressivism in the United States.

YAL, a Libertarian student non-profit organization, has hosted Yiannopoulos on other campuses before, but according to Ansloan, YAL’s national office contacted its UNM chapter to inform them that the event “can’t have that organization’s name on it.”

As far as Ansloan knows, the relationship between YAL and Yiannopoulos is “perfectly fine,” he said.

“(YAL is) an ideological group, but they are not Republican or Democrat. They’re nonpartisan,” he said, adding that often, when Yiannopoulos speaks, he does so in support of president-elect Trump, “who is obviously a very partisan figure.”

Although Yiannopoulos tends to get political in his speech, with a speaker like this one, there’s really no telling what exactly to expect, Ansloan said.

“Sometimes it’s about Black Lives Matter, sometimes it’s about feminism, sometimes it’s about free speech issues. So that’s entirely up to him,” he said, explaining that the host student organization was looking for an engaging speaker with a thought-provoking point of view “that will allow students to walk away thinking about something.”

“Obviously, Milo checks the box on all of those,” said Ansloan, who also served as an Associated Students of UNM senator for the fall semester.

While similar speakers might charge tens of thousands of dollars for an appearance, Ansloan said Yiannopoulos doesn’t charge a penny.

That fact hasn’t been enough to dissuade backlash against Yiannopoulos’ upcoming visit on social media. One particular Facebook post that has spurred online discussion, and has been shared by more than 40 people, criticizes Ansloan for inviting Yiannopoulos. It includes the message “Racists and Bigots Not Welcome at UNM!”

University administration is also taking action with the implied intention of preventing things from potentially getting out of hand on Yiannopoulos’ visit, which is sure to spark protest on campus. UNM officials, acknowledging that Yiannopoulos is known for saying “provocative things,” say that there will be multiple events organized for students to contribute their opinions to the discourse.

On Monday afternoon, UNM accidentally tweeted a promotion for the event from its officially account (@UNM). The tweet included this story and encouraged students to "SAVE THE DATE!" for the January event. 

The tweet was deleted a few minutes later, and UNM replied to some people who criticized the tweet, stating "UNM shares events from campus sources. This event was shared by a team member who was unaware of its controversial nature."

Ansloan said that although Yiannopoulos’ reputation precedes the burgeoning “alt-right” — which many critics would equate with the white supremacist movement — the conservative columnist has denied any formal ties to the movement, “albeit with a winking eye.”

There is no shortage of controversy surrounding Yiannopoulos’ message, as his university speaking engagements are often met with protest. Florida State, the University of Alabama and Rutgers are just some institutions where his visits have been met with outspoken opposition from students.

“I don’t expect this event to be any different. He’s going to probably say some provocative stuff,” Ansloan said. “I just hope that people come with an open mind and listen to what both sides have to say.”

On university campuses, issues taken up by Yiannopoulos are often treated one-sidedly, as though they are already settled, Ansloan said.

“Our ability to provide the other side is something that is going to be very helpful,” he said, “and I would encourage everyone to go to the event to hear for themselves.”

Johnny Vizcaino is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@thedailyjohnnyv.