Theater Review: 'Matilda' sure to please all ages

It’s by pure serendipity that “Matilda” proved to be a show that captured the spirit of Broadway in such an accessible and non-kitsch way. One usually hopes for a quality production when seeing a Broadway production, but it was a pleasant surprise to see one executed in such a way as “Matilda.”

The first thing that made an impression was the quirky, almost Tim Burton-esque set, which resembled in spirit the style of author Roald Dahl, who wrote the book the musical is based off of. It was surreal, but captured the quirky and cynical nature of the book and the production, that nature being from the point of view of a 5-year-old genius who is fed up with the selfish nature of grown-ups.

The set design verged onto the avant-garde, where the sliding backdrops fit into each other like puzzle pieces and created a set that seemed to have considerably more depth than other productions. The use of visual juxtaposition in the production fit the narrative style of the musical as it complemented its energetic and eccentric style, creating a flow between scenes and sets.

The opening number “Miracle” took the audience by surprise as the chorus of children who sang the number also performed expertly-executed choreography on the level of veteran Broadway actors. It led one to wonder how many productions these children have been in before “Matilda,” and how they found time to rehearse the complex sequences between homework, school and sleep. It was clear to me that all of these children have a bright future in the business.

Unlike the 1996 film of the same name, “Matilda” paid respect to its British origin with the cast donning distinctly British accents that spanned the various dialects present on the island, ranging from Cockney to Posh, adding depth to the musical via thorough characterization.

The production’s British influence was also evident in its humor. Most of the jokes in the production were multilayered, having an initial impact of accessible and outrageous with a second, darker layer that appealed to the older members in the audience.

The music and lyrics were written by renowned British-Australian comedian and musician Tim Minchin, who includes social satire and often taboo subjects in his original compositions. As it turned out, it was perfect for the production’s subject matter, and effective in its ability to maintain a level of interest from all age groups in the audience.

The choreography of the musical was so unique and complex that dazzled the hearts and eyes of the audience, wowing them with each successive number as it topped the one that came before it.

The only problem that was apparent with the production was the pacing of the plot. For fans of the book and the movie, the musical neglected to place emphasis on key plot points, such as Matilda’s telekinesis — which was mentioned as almost an afterthought — but like any adaptation, not everything from the source material can be included.

Regardless of its single shortcoming, “Matilda the Musical” delivers a fun, energetic and entertaining experience for audiences of all ages. The production is deserving of its accolades and stands as a Broadway musical that captures the spirit of musical productions.

Fin Martinez is the culture editor and theater reviewer for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @FinMartinez.