On this date in UNM history...

2002

Daily Lobo film critic Simn Trujillo reviewed "Black Hawk Down," the contemporary war epic from director Ridley Scott that went on to win Academy Awards for Best Film Editing and Best Sound. 

Trujillo was impressed by the film's cinematography, but felt it was devoid of much character development. Check out the review in full here

2003

Then-New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson appoints a handful of new regents for UNM, saying that he believes they will "reflect the vision" he has higher education in the state of New Mexico. 

One individual who was a UNM regent at the time, Jack Fortner, is still on the board in 2017. 

2006

The UNM Men's Basketball team extends their winning streak at The Pit to 21 straight games with a 62-59 win over Air Force. The streak would end in the next game, a 77-71 loss to BYU.

2007 

The Daily Lobo Editorial Board writes that the UNM Board of Regents is too concerned with running the University like a business that students aren't benefiting. "There comes a point where we have to draw a line between the business side of UNM and the students and community it serves," the editorial reads. "The business side should be the lesser of the two."

2012

The Daily Lobo reports that UNM IT requested $3 million in student fees, a 1,300 percent increase over 2011, to compensate for lack of resources compared to other New Mexico universities.

“Access to electronic collections is essential to student graduation,” UNM officials said at the time.