Letters to the Editor: UNM students, community concerned about Yiannopoulos visit

The Daily Lobo received a multitude of letters to the editor expressing concern about Friday's Milo Yiannopoulos engagement. Here are links to all of them. 

From UNM student Sidney Abernathy: "I assume that there is already concern on behalf of safety, otherwise they would not have been prepared to staff it so heavily with security. To whom does this concern vest itself in? Is it in Milo himself, or in the marginalized persons of which he is so fond of antagonizing?" 

From UNM student Elizabeth Herrera: "It’s a well known fact that after his events, many people who are of the LGBT+ community, women and people of color have been attacked by his attendees. Do not allow this man to talk or step foot on UNM campus. Protect UNM students and staff."

From UNM student Fernanda Banda: "How dare one allow Milo Yiannopoulos here. Other universities have already banned this man from their campus because of how demeaning he is and how hateful he comes across. So why let UNM be the campus that does allow such man to walk through our University?"

From UNM parent Michelle McCann: "With his visit so recent to the election this could prove to be volatile. I understand your need to be fair and for all voices to be heard in a discussion that could bring forth a broader understanding of current events in our country. I don’t want to suppress that; if anything now it is very important that we continue to have discussions in a safe environment."

From UNM student Ann Eckert: "Io not consider Yiannopoulos speaking at UNM to be educational, rather discriminatory toward marginalized groups on campus such as LGBTQ members, women, Muslims and African Americans.

From a coalition of student groups protesting Yiannopoulos' visit: "We will not argue for our right to exist. It is neither academic nor educational. But, we welcome a round table discussion with the College Republicans because that is the true core of the academic setting, not bringing hate speech onto our campus. Therefore, if they wish to sit down and talk all they have to do is ask."