Freshman pole vaulter Nathan Burnett prepares to launch himself up on Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017 at the Albuquerque Convention Center. UNM hosted the New Mexico Team Invitational this past Saturday, and will also host the New Mexico Classic and Multis this Friday.

Track and Field: Lobo men place 1st in Team Invitational, women place 2nd

The chant of “Go Lobos” echoed in the Albuquerque Convention Center on Saturday after the UNM track and field team earned four individual titles and 13 top-three finishes at its Team Invitational.

The team met on the track afterward in a show of solidarity to recognize the men’s squad on their first place finish, and the women on a runner-up performance.

“We wanted to introduce (people) on all the lifetime bests, because it’s always about getting better, not only in life but on the track,” Lobo head coach Joe Franklin explained about the team celebration.

Although the biggest challenge during home meets is self-discipline, the Lobos have found the right approach to achieve results.

New Mexico has turned in dominant performances in both of its home meets so far.

“It’s really nice to run with your teammates,” said Sophie Connor about the team approach. “I train with them day in and day out. We help each other and make each other dominate.”

Connor virtually locked herself in for the NCAA Championship in the mile, as she won the mile run in 4 minutes, 43.03 seconds. She also placed second in the 800-meter run (2:13.51).

“I was happy with today,” Connor said. “As an open up, it has been nervous, but it was quite nice — should be a national qualifying time.”

“Fourth fastest time in the country, excellent,” Franklin said, pleased with her performance. “She effectively punched her ticket to the NCAA Championships.”

Connor said that she just did a few speed workouts this semester to get herself sharper. And her impressive debut is likely to keep her moving.

“My aim is to get All-American again and hopefully get a higher position in the mile,” Connor said about her season goal.

Connor was not the only one to score in the women’s mile run. Calli Thackery came in at fourth (4:53.21), Natasha Bernal placed sixth (4:57.08) and Kathryn Fluehr ranked seventh (5:01.35).

“Great competition,” Franklin said. “We had some people compete very, very well. It’s a very low-key meet but (we had) incredibly fast times.”

Another big run came from Kendall Kelly, who moved up her personal record by 30 seconds to 10:00.40 to win the 3,000-meter race.

“Kendall Kelly sticks out as her performance was exceptional,” Franklin said.

Ruth Haynes ran a time of 10:40.46 to place fourth, and Samantha Dicker placed at sixth (10:48.55) in the same run.

The women almost scored in every event they participated in. In the 600-meter, Larimar Rodriguez made runner-up with a time of 1:35.69. Hannah Riker-Urrutia finished just behind to place third (1:35.89).

Akeisha Ayanniyi finished at fourth in the 60-meter dash (7.61). She scored in the 200-meter as well at seventh place (25.76) and Kyra Mohns placed eighth (25.89) in the same event.

Riker-Urrutia, Rodriguez and Mohns led their teammate Abigail Smith to post points at sixth place in the 1600-meter relay (3:52.56).

Amaris Blount posted a personal record of 59 feet 5 inches to rank fourth in the weight throw.

“It’s an interesting dynamic at a meet like this because you’re trying to score team points. It’s crammed into one day, which is unlike anything we do all year, so you don’t get quite as much rest,” Franklin said.

The women overall grabbed 112 points to finish second, just two points behind Kansas State (114 points). TCU placed third with 104 points.

The men’s squad by a thin margin of two points, scoring 106 points to defeat Utah State and TCU.

“We can come out with the win on the men’s side,” Franklin said. “That’s exceptional (with) two Big 12 teams.”

Like the women, the men’s squad also posted strong performances in middle distance.

Josh Kerr led the group with his title in the mile (4:07.69). Alexander Palm (second place, time of 4:13.82), Graham Thomas (fourth, 4:16.06), Jesus Mendoza (fifth, 4:20.79), Taylor Potter (seventh, 4:23.39) and Chris Graham (eighth, 4:25.09) also scored in the same run.

Kerr also posted points in the 800-meter run (fifth, 1:59.29). Kristian Uldbjerg Hansen won the title (1:53.78), Gavin Sleeter placed second (1:54.22) and Adam Monroe ranked third (1:54.82).

Cheyne Dorsey led the 600-meter run (fourth, 1:22.18), which Isaac Gonzales (fifth, 1:22.72) and Mustafa Mudada (sixth, 1:23.27) also scored.

Dorsey, Gonzales, Mark Haywood and Carlos Salcido ran 3:18.62 to place fourth in the 1600-meter relay. Haywood also ran fifth in the 400 at 48.30 and Tyler Valdez placed fourth in the 3,000 with a time of 8:54.68 to tally more points.

The men’s vaulters did a solid job with Nathan Burnett, John Harari and Jason Atencio all placing in the top 10.

In the long jump, Alejandro Goldston placed second with 23 feet 7 1/4 inches. Tanner Battikha ranked at seventh place (21 feet 6 inches). Caleb Meyer-Hagen took seventh place in the high jump (6 feet 2 3/4 inches).

“Across the board, it was a good, solid meet,” Franklin said. “That’s again very positive. It’s been a good weekend.”

The Lobos will host the New Mexico Classic & Multis meet next Friday and Saturday.

Bo Yu is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers track and field, cross country and volleyball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Bo_YuB.