Tyler Stevens throws a curveball against Binghamton on Friday Feb 17 at Santa Anna Star Field

Baseball: Tripp fantastic in relief appearance as Lobos win first game of the season

Opening Day couldn't have gone any better for the Lobo baseball team.

The Lobos were able to snag an 8-4 victory over Binghamton University Friday evening despite not having the best of hitting nights. Great defense and great pitching was able to elevate the Lobos to their first win, as well as a relief arm that overcame early nerves to help the Lobos get to 1-0 in 2017.

Binghamton notched one more hit (8) than the Lobos, but New Mexico made the most out of the time they spent on base, and capitalized on the errors that their opponent contributed. Despite his team’s hitting, head coach Ray Birmingham wasn't concerned with his team’s production on that side of the ball.

“Our hitters are capable of more, but we put the ball in play when we had to,” Birmingham said. “We also hit three of four bullets right at people, so I’m not concerned with the offense.”

Binghamton walked seven Lobo batters, hit two and committed four defensive errors — something the Lobos took advantage of.

On the other hand, Lobo pitching didn't allow a single walk and struck out 12 Binghamton players.

The Lobos’ defense didn't commit an error either.

The redshirt senior transfer Johnathon Tripp took over the pitching duties for the Lobos at the top of the sixth with the game tied at 4 a piece, and he made the best of his efforts. Tripp only allowed one hit over the final four innings, while also striking out six Binghamton batters.

“It was the most anxious I've ever been,” Tripp said. “I felt like a high schooler pitching in front of the big league. Last time I pitched it was my birthday of 2015, so that was a long of a time ago … getting to pitch in the first game was a blessing.”

Other than Tripp making way on the mound, junior right-handed Tyler Stevens got the start for the Lobos on Opening Day. He too had a solid outing, despite allowing four runs. In Stevens’ time on the mound, he allowed seven hits. Birmingham knew something was wrong with Stevens’ command of the pitch, too, but praised the efforts of Tripp’s performance.

“Tyler (Stevens) didn't have his best night,” Birmingham said. “He made a lot mistakes and he’ll get that improved, but Johnathon Tripp came out and showed people how to pitch — how to really pitch.

After allowing Binghamton to score two runs in the top of the first inning, the Lobos quickly answered back with their own bats in the bottom half. With freshman Justin Watari reaching base on an infield single, redshirt junior Danny Collier brought the freshman home on an RBI triple to right-center field in his first at-bat. Then senior Jack Zoellner brought Collier in on an RBI single hit into left field.

In the bottom of the second, with the bases loaded, Collier was hit by a pitch, bringing in one Lobo to put the Lobos up by one point. Later in the same inning, junior Carl Stajduhar was walked with the bases loaded, bringing in another run. This time, the Lobos went up 4-2.

But Binghamton wasn't out of it yet. In the top of the third, the Bearcats were able to drive in two runs of their own, bringing the game to 4-4.

The next time either of the two teams scored was in the bottom of the sixth. Junior Daniel Herrera led off the inning, and produced a single. Junior Luis Gonzalez doubled to right-center and Watari was walked, loading the bases for the Lobos.

Then a couple of throwing errors by Binghamton changed the course of the game. Stajduhar reached first base on a throwing error, ultimately scoring Herrera and Gonzalez. Another throwing error later in the inning brought home Watari, putting the Lobos up 7-4.

They would tack on one more via a sacrifice fly before it was all said and done.

The Lobos continue their three-game series with Binghamton on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's game is at 2 p.m. with Sunday's game starting at 1p.m.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.