Redshirt senior Rodolfo Jauregui prepares to return the ball during the Balloon Fiesta Invitational Saturday, Nov. 8, 2016 at the McKinnon Family Tennis Stadium. The Lobos lost to Cal Poly 4-3 this past weekend. 

Men's Tennis: Lobos to take on Cal Poly and Loyola Marymount in California

After two weeks without any matches, the Lobos are back on the road to take on Cal Poly and Loyola Marymount in San Luis Obispo, California.

The Lobos (1-4) are coming off of an impressive 4-0 victory against Boise State (1-6). The Lobos have developed a rivalry with the Broncos and will be hoping to carry the momentum from that match into the weekend. Cal Poly (2-2) also recently played Boise State, winning 6-1 back on Jan. 23. But the Mustangs are coming off of a 7-0 loss to Oregon, and have so far been unable to put together consecutive wins.

Loyola Marymount (2-2) lost their first two games of the 2017 campaign to Pepperdine and Furman, but have since managed to string together two consecutive victories against Yale and Army West Point, winning both encounters 4-2. Loyola doubles pair Luke Bohuslav, a senior, and Lukas Moenter, a sophomore, have looked sharp so far, winning three out of their four doubles matches this season.

Despite losing their first four fixtures, the Lobos are confident that their hard work at practice and in matches will begin to translate into victories, as it did against Boise State.

The Lobos have had a difficult schedule so far, playing against strong opponents including Texas Tech and UCLA.

UCLA finished the 2016 season tied for 7th with Northwestern in the NCAA rankings. The Lobos will be tested yet again this weekend, but UNM head coach Ben Dunbar emphasized that the focus should be on improving and training hard rather than on the quality of the opposition.

“Hopefully the boys can get some momentum from the weekend,” Dunbar said. “Both teams [Cal Poly and Loyola Marymount] are really good, but we need to focus on ourselves. If we handle our business then we can put ourselves in a position to win.”

The Lobos will play most of their matches away from home this season, and will not play in Albuquerque until the weekend of Feb. 25, where they will face UTSA and New Mexico State.

“This is a year where we have a pretty heavy away schedule, but I think that won’t scare the guys, “Dunbar said. “This is a group that will get out there and compete and just put themselves out there.”

The Lobos will play first against Cal Poly at 1 p.m. on Saturday, and then face off against Loyola Marymount on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. There will be no live stats or broadcast provided for either of the two matches.

The following weekend, the Lobos will travel to Provo and Salt Lake City, Utah, where they will face BYU and Nebraska.

Matthieu Cartron is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women’s soccer. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@cartron_matt.