Letter: Christians should re-examine their religion

Any faith worth having is worth examining deeply. Many people fear if they knew more they would believe less.

Did Jesus of Nazareth actually live in human history? If he did, did the writers of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the Bible accurately tell Jesus’ teachings and actions? In centuries since, did those people who copied and translated the original writings do a good job and make no important mistakes? Huge questions! Who knows the answers for sure?

Jesus grew up in one of many bloody, cruel religions. For hundreds of years, people killed thousands of animals and burnt them on altars. They believed their gods demanded animal slaughter in order to forgive peoples’ sins and to get back on good terms with their gods.

Jesus believed he had to be executed so that his father, God, could forgive the sins of all humanity. He believed his self-sacrifice on the cross had to happen. Would a loving God require Jesus to suffer the horrendous agony of crucifixion in order to forgive our sins and to become our friend?

Deeply disturbing questions arise about Jesus, far more serious than his alleged virgin birth, miracles or bodily resurrection. Did Jesus suffer severe religious delusion and a martyr complex? Did Jesus suffer from a “divine” compulsion to be rejected. tortured and executed by religious and political authorities -- far worse than any death wish? Jesus was determined to go to Jerusalem, the religious and political capital. He was sure he would be executed there. He glorified his final torture, rejection and execution. Jesus sternly rebuked Peter for urging him (wisely) not to go to Jerusalem.

If Jesus’ crucifixion was not necessary for humanity’s sins to be forgiven and for peoples’ lives to be changed for the better, what good reason would Jesus have to go to Jerusalem firmly convinced he would be crucified?

When he had earlier sent out his disciples to preach his message, he told them, “If people reject your message in one place, move on to another place.” So why did he insist on going to Jerusalem when he could have stayed away and gone to other towns and nations?

If you love your enemies, will you deliberately incite them to murder you? Did Jesus knowingly choose to make his enemies his killers? Could Judas in his final hours forgive Jesus for going to Jerusalem, knowing that Judas would betray Jesus there to his enemies and then kill himself in strong remorse?

Many thousands of Jesus’ followers from then to now have suffered torture, prison and execution, convinced that God is pleased with their obedience, suffering as Jesus suffered and believing Heaven’s joys awaited them after death. Many of Jesus’ followers through the ages have had a love affair with suffering persecution for Jesus!

Jesus and his 12 apostles were Jews. Did Jesus realize that his execution by the Jewish rulers would become sadly an evil excuse for the Inquisitor and the Nazis to kill Jews centuries later?

I was a sincere Christian preacher, 50 years ago. I pastored an Illinois Mennonite church from 1966 to 1968. Before that, I had majored in Bible in college in Virginia. I had not yet learned or dared to question deeply. Now, as a humble agnostic, I belong to no religion. I am greatly indebted to many people who have taught me, loved me and inspired me.

I constantly collect wisdom to live it!

Don Schrader

Daily Lobo reader