Men’s Soccer: Lawrence double gives UNM first win of the 2017 spring season

The Lobo’s spring season kicked off last week in dramatic fashion, with UNM losing 2-1 in overtime to Southern Methodist University.

While the first game may not have gone the way the Lobos intended, the spring season is less about the results and more about player development and experience. Young players get a chance to adapt and exhibit their abilities on the field.

"Spring games are a great opportunity for our young players to test themselves in preparation for the fall,” UNM head coach Jeremy Fishbein said in a release.

The Lobos played their second game of the spring campaign away from home against Grand Canyon University, a side that recently drew 2-2 against Phoenix Rising FC. Phoenix Rising FC is a professional team based in Phoenix, Arizona which competes in the second division of the American Soccer Pyramid.

The GCU Lopes finished the 2016 fall season with a record of 7-9-3, and even played New Mexico in the Grange and Ashwill Invitational Tournament. The Lobos emerged from that encounter with a 1-0 win thanks to second-half goal from ex-Lobo Niko Hansen, who recently signed with the Columbus Crew, a Major League Soccer team located in Columbus, Ohio.

Another ex-Lobo forward, Chris Wehan, also signed a professional contract. Wehan signed with Reno 1868 FC, a new professional club that will make its debut in March 2017, in the United Soccer League.

As expected, the second game of the 2017 spring season between GCU and UNM was close, with nothing to separate the two sides for more than 90 minutes.

The Lopes started off the game on the front foot, forcing an impressive save from Jason Beaulieu in the 8th minute. Seven minutes later, GCU broke the deadlock through junior forward Damian Germain, giving the Lopes an early 1-0 lead.

The Lobos responded almost immediately, as freshman Tom Smart’s driven shot flew just wide of the post a minute later. The Lobos continued to put pressure on the Lopes, but the score remained 1-0 until the latter stages of the game.

In the 81st minute, Lobo defender freshman Matthew Constant was fouled in the GCU penalty area, and the referee awarded a penalty kick. Lobo junior Luke Lawrence stepped up and converted from the spot, putting UNM back on level terms with the Lopes at 1-1.

That score held until the end of regulation, prompting two golden goal overtime periods.

UNM’s Lawrence, who scored the equalizer, made the difference again in overtime. He surged into the GCU penalty area and was brought down in plain sight of the referee. The referee awarded another penalty kick to the Lobos.

Once again, Lawrence assumed responsibility for the kick and coolly converted from 12 yards out. The goal signaled the end of the match and marked the first win for the Lobos of the 2017 season.

The Lobos will play again on April 15th in Taos, New Mexico, against the U.S Air Force Academy at the Taos Sports Complex.

Matthieu Cartron is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women’s soccer. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@cartron_matt.