Sophomore Jared Mang slides into second base as a SJSU player attempts to out him Saturday, March 11, 2017 at Santa Ana Star Field.

Baseball: UNM swept in Fullerton, California, have now lost five straight

New Mexico baseball wrapped up a three-game series against Cal State Fullerton, and each game ended the same way — with the Lobos on the wrong end of a one-run game.

The Lobos (11-8, 6-0 MW), dropped all three games to the Titans, extending their overall losing streak to five on the season — the most recent loss, a pitcher’s duel that favored Cal State Fullerton on Sunday, 1-0.

In spite of the losses, head coach Ray Birmingham seemed pleased with the way his team competed against the No. 7 team in the country.

"First, I hate losing three — but it was a very promising weekend," Birmingham said in a release. "What I saw was encouraging for the rest of the season."

Lobo pitcher Luis Gonzalez (1-2) had a good outing, but still bore the burden of taking the loss. He went seven innings strong, scattering seven hits and striking out four batters — but also gave up the lone run in the game.

New Mexico didn’t have many scoring opportunities on the day, registered just two hits in the game. Gonzalez tried to get things going early, hitting a leadoff single to start the game.

But Cal State Fullerton retired the next eight New Mexico hitters, showing that hits and runs would come at a premium.

The Lobos’ only other hit came off the bat of Gonzalez again. He ripped a base hit into left field with two outs in the top of the third inning, but Danny Collier grounded out in the next at-bat.

The Titans cashed in on their opportunity in the bottom of the third inning after Jake Pavletich got in scoring position by hitting a one-out double. Shortstop Timmy Richards singled him home in the next at bat to take the 1-0 lead.

After another base hit, Gonzalez settled in to record consecutive outs to end the inning, but the damage was already done.

The solitary run support was plenty for Cal State Fullerton starting pitcher John Gavin (3-0). He and Blake Workman combined for the two-hit shutout and sat down the final 19 New Mexico hitters to take the 1-0 decision.

The Lobos should feel good returning home to the Santa Ana Star Field, where the team is a perfect 6-0.

It could be the recipe to breaking the five-game losing streak as the team returns to Albuquerque to host a two-game set against Grand Canyon beginning on Tuesday.

New Mexico will resume conference play, where the team is also 6-0, later in the week against UNLV after the conclusion of that series.

Game one is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and can be heard on ESPN radio, 101.7 the TEAM.

Robert Maler is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers football and men’s and women’s tennis. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @robert_maler.