Women's Basketball: Three Lobos earn All-Mountain West honors

Three Lobos took home individual honors from the Mountain West on Tuesday in recognition of their strong seasons.

Senior Richelle van der Keijl, junior Cherise Beynon and freshman Mykiel Burleson were all named to All-Mountain West teams.

Van der Keijl was awarded Newcomer of the Year, while Burleson was named to the Mountain West All-Freshman Team and Beynon was named to the Mountain West All-Defensive Team.

Beynon and van der Keijl were also named to the All-Mountain West Team.

Van der Keijl – a transfer from Wright State where first-year head coach Mike Bradbury previously coached – led the conference during the regular season in field goal percentage, making 59 percent of her shots. She leads the Lobos in rebounding at 9.7 boards per contest, while also averaging 2.1 blocks per game.

Beynon’s league recognition marks the third straight year that she's been named to an All-Mountain West squad. As a freshman Beynon earned Mountain West All-Freshman honors, and then was a Mountain West First Team member following her sophomore campaign.

This season, Beynon is leading the Lobos in scoring, averaging 15.6 points per game – third in the MW – to go along with an MW-best 6.62 assists per game.

Burleson – who sustained a season-ending injury with a torn ACL on Feb. 8 at home against Air Force – appeared in 24 games for the Lobos, starting 22 of them. In Burleson’s time on the court, she averaged 9.7 points per game and 4.4 rebounds.

The Lobos enter the Mountain West Tournament as the fifth seed, and they play fourth-seeded Boise State on Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 p.m.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailyloobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz.