Redshirt senior Johnathon Tripp pitches against a San Jose State batter Saturday, March 12, 2017 at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos beat UNLV Saturday afternoon 4-2. 

Baseball: Lobos continue winning ways with 4-2 victory over UNLV

Unlike Friday evening’s win where the University of New Mexico baseball team beat UNLV  29-8 and racked up 24 hits total, Saturday's matchup with the Rebels took a much different turn.

Instead, offense wasn't the key factor in the win. Both strong pitching and well-timed offense is what got the Lobos their second win over UNLV (10-15, 5-6 MW) in the series in Las Vegas, Nevada as UNM (14-9, 8-0 MW) escaped with a 4-2 victory.

Johnathon Tripp – who got the start on the mound for the Lobos – had a strong performance on the mound despite allowing nine hits and two runs in seven innings of pitching. However, Tripp struck out seven UNLV batters, too.

But neither Justin Slaten, who came in as relief in the eighth, nor Christian Tripp – Johnathon’s younger brother – allowed any hits or runs in the final two innings of play, facing a combined seven batters in that time.

Head coach Ray Birmingham realized that his team’s pitching was a key part of their performance on Saturday, and gave them praise where it was deserved.

“Our pitching was clutch,” Birmingham said in a press release. “The wind was blowing in and kept balls in the yard all night for both teams … But the Tripp boys and Justin Slaten were money tonight.”

However, that's not all the Lobos accomplished. UNM combined for seven hits – two less than UNLV – in the game, but a key homer is what was able to help the Lobos get four runs rallied on the scoreboard.

After a scoreless first inning, the Lobos were able to make it 1-0 in the second on an Andre Gregory RBI double, driving in Jack Zoellner.

But the Rebels answered in the third inning, putting up two runs in the frame to take a 2-1 lead. UNLV could have scored more runs, though right fielder Andre Vigil threw out a runner at third and then a runner on his way home to close out the inning.

In the fifth inning the Lobos were able to tie it at two runs apiece. Andrew Pratt led off the inning with a triple, and was eventually brought home on a sacrifice fly from Gregory.

But the third inning is when UNM took the lead back. Hayden Schilling – who entered the game at second base in the third inning – hit a go-ahead homer in the sixth inning to make it 3-2 Lobos. It was Schilling’s first ever collegiate home run.

Again in the seventh inning the Lobos would tack on another run to grab the 4-2 lead. From there, Slaten and Tripp would do the dirty work and allow not a run nor a hit to close out the game.

Only two Lobo batters were able to produce more than one hit on Saturday. Gregory led the way, going 2-for-3 with two RBI, while Zoellner went 2-for-4 with two runs.

Luis Gonzalez (1-2, 4.14 ERA) will get the start on the mound for UNM, while UNLV will counter with Garrett Poole (2-2, 5.46 ERA) on Sunday.

Up next for UNM is the last game of the series on Sunday, Mar. 26 at 2:05 p.m. MST. The game will be broadcasted live on ESPN Radio 101.7 The TEAM.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz