Senior Lise Rugland dives for a ball during a match against Colorado Mesa Friday, March 18, 2016 at Lucky 66 Bowl. The Lobos will play their first match against Benedictine University at Mesa this Thursday in Mesa, Arizona.

Beach Volleyball: No. 18 New Mexico kicks off season in Arizona

The UNM beach volleyball team will take on Benedictine University at Mesa in its 2017 season opener in Mesa, Arizona on Thursday.

The Lobos just established their beach volleyball program two years ago, but have already enjoyed the fruit of success.

Thanks to the impressive 17-6 record of the team last season, the latest preseason DiG Magazine Poll placed UNM at No. 18 in the national ranking.

“We really have a handle on what we need to do to be successful,” head coach Jeff Nelson said on Media Day. “In the past, we’ve been learning. Now we’re playing better ball...because we have so much experience.”

The returning of three veteran pairs, seven starters, and some indoor volleyball players will definitely build up the experienced lineup of the Lobos.

“We want a postseason,” senior Cassie House said. “That’s what we’re working for. This year we know what we can do, and we’re looking to capitalize on it.”

House is projected to pair with redshirt junior Ashley Kelsey in the No. 1 position for a second-straight year.

Their 11-10 record last season provided evidence that the duo was ready to face other teams’ top seeds.

Senior pair Devanne Sours and Lise Rugland would also enjoy their second season together in the No. 2 position.

Leadership would be expected from this pair of three-year veterans, who could step up and lead the team this season. They played a record of 14-6 last year.

The No.3 pair would be Marisa Doran and Eastyn Baleto, who moved up from the No.4 position last season with their 23-3 record.

Senior Julia Warren would take the No.4 slot with freshman Lauren Twitty. The solid performance in indoor volleyball of the tandem would make them competitive.

Junior Jackie Baro would pair with Long Beach State transfer Carly Beddingfield to take the No.5 spot.

Thursday’s opponent Benedictine University at Mesa had already opened its season against six local junior colleges last weekend.

Despite their 1-4-1 result, the first-year Redhawks aimed to bring some challenges to the Lobos.

After playing in Mesa for the season opener, the Lobos would head to Phoenix to play No. 20 Loyola Marymount and No. 11 Grand Canyon on Friday, and take on Colorado Mesa and No. 15 TCU on Saturday.

“I feel like they’re all matches that are going to be tight,” Nelson said about the coming contests. “They all have some really premier players too.”

New Mexico would likely pick up easy wins at the season opener against the Redhawks and at Saturday’s match against the Division II school Colorado Mesa.

The Lobos might face some difficulties with the first-ranked Loyola Marymount team, however.

Nelson pointed out that experience and good players would be the weapon the Lobos would rely on to forge ahead in the inaugural matches.

The Lobos’ 2017 schedule was good, but filled with challenges and opportunities.

The matches against top-10 ranked teams would be tough. However, New Mexico would take on a lot of teams ranked between No. 8 and No. 15.

Nelson believed the results of such games would gauge New Mexico in terms of the season and their progression. Thus, Grand Canyon and TCU would be the real touchstones for the Lobos’ inaugural matches.

Bo Yu is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers track and field, cross country and volleyball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @Bo_YuB.