Senior Luis Gonzalez looks toward the outfield as he connects with a ball while playing against Fresno State Friday, March 31, 2017 at Santa Ana Star Field. The Lobos will face off with Texas Tech this Tuesday. 

Lobos ready for round 2 against Red Raiders

After an unusual weekend of baseball for the University of New Mexico, the team will head back to Lubbock, Texas for a second time this season to take on the Red Raiders of Texas Tech.

The Lobos (18-12-1, 11-2-1 Mountain West) participated in what was supposed to be a three-game series at San Jose State this past weekend, but instead found themselves playing two games – with Saturday's game being cancelled due to “inclement weather” a press release read – and Sunday's game ending in a 5-5 tie due to a “drop dead time” rule.

In the Lobos’ series opener against San Jose State on Friday, the team lost 2-1, as they left 12 runners stranded on base and couldn't find a way to score more runs.

Texas Tech (28-7, 6-3 Big 12) comes into Tuesday's game ranked no. 6 in both D1baseball.com and BaseballAmerica.com’s weekly rankings.

The Red Raiders won a weekend series versus Baylor, in which they took two of the three games in the series.

On offense, Texas Tech is paced by Grant Little who is hitting .369 with two triples, five doubles, 14 RBI’s and 30 runs scored. Hargrove Hunter – who is one of two Red Raiders to start in and play all 35 games this season – is batting .348 at the plate with two triples, 16 doubles, four home runs, 35 RBI’s and 32 runs scored.

The Red Raiders’ bullpen has also put in the work, averaging a team ERA of 3.31. Its leader is Steven Gingery, whose ERA is an astounding 1.00 this season and a perfect record of 6-0 in eight appearances on the mound. Gingery has also pitched a team-high 54 innings and leads his team in strikeouts with 57.

Despite some recent struggles, the Lobos are still a sight to see on offense. New Mexico is led by junior outfielder and pitcher Luis Gonzalez, who's hitting a team-high .368 at the plate this season. He's also racked up two triples, 14 doubles, three home runs, 23 RBI’s and 34 runs.

Senior first baseman Jack Zoellner is batting .354 at the plate so far this season, and has one triple, 11 doubles, a Mountain West-high eight home runs, a team-high 34 RBI’s and 29 runs scored. In his last appearance against Texas Tech this season, Zoellner led the Lobos with three (3-for-4) of the team’s seven hits in the game.

The Lobos’ bullpen has been putting up good numbers against top competition. As a team, UNM has a combined ERA of 4.42 while its opponents average 7.19 when playing the Lobos. In eight games started, junior Tyler Stevens has boasted a 4-3 record and has an ERA of 3.40. Relief pitcher Cody Dye leads the Lobos with a 1.59 ERA in 10 appearances and 11 innings pitched.

Tuesday's game against Texas Tech is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and can be streamed on ESPN Radio 101.7 The TEAM.

Matthew Narvaiz is a sports reporter for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers women's basketball and baseball. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @matt_narvaiz