Nkazi Sinandile embraces Emerane-Imata a refugee from Democratic Republic of the Congo on Wednesday afternoon at PB&J Family Services. Sinandile has helped many immigrants and refugees throughout her time at PB&J Family Services.

Refugees find both hope and hate in Albuquerque

Immigrants and refugees are facing recurring difficulties in Albuquerque, but one program is endeavoring to help.

The Immigrant and Refugee Resource Village of Albuquerque and New Mexico is part of a larger operation called Women’s Global Pathways run by Nkazi Sinandile. The organization specializes in helping women and children, but accepts any immigrant or refugee in need.

Participants learn English, domestic skills such as sewing, and produce and sell goods through a micro-enterprise.

Sinandile explained that there have been increasing concerns for immigrants and refugees in the current political climate.

“There’s always been people who didn’t like refugees and other immigrants, but Trump’s anti-immigration policies have struck fear into those people who didn’t like them to begin with,” she said. “They now feel like they can really go out there and show how much they don’t like refugees.”

Specifically, Sinandile cited concerns for the refugees regarding safety on public transportation, noting many of them wear hijabs and have faced harassment.

Sinandile was collecting donations to buy a transport van for the program so the women could be driven directly to the center. However, city officials recently stepped in and donated a Sun Van to the program.

Before they could begin the transportation project, the church that was hosting the program, which asked for anonymity, suddenly told Sinandile she would need find a new venue.

“The church people that were hosting us said they are afraid. They are afraid for their lives because refugees and immigrants go to that center,” she said. “They feel that some people who don’t like refugees may come and do harm to their people at the church or the center.”

While the city is searching for other venues to house the program, it has a temporary host in PB&J Family Services, which hosted the program until 2014 but was not big enough to support the growing operation.

A few of the female refugees currently taking part accepted a request for an interview, although most preferred to go by only their first name.

The women were from all over the world, including Afghanistan, the Republic of Congo and Cuba, and there were many children present at the center.

When asked about the problems they have faced since arriving in Albuquerque, all of them said the language barrier is difficult.

Many said they had issues with transportation to the center and other places.

Although they have a variety of needs unique to their own situation, all of them expressed immense gratitude to the center and to Sinandile — who they call “Mama Nkazi” — for helping them.

“Mama Nkazi teach me English. I’m sick, Mama Nkazi help me. My daughter is sick, Mama Nkazi help me. You’re very good, Mama Nkazi,” said one emotional refugee from Afghanistan.

The rest of the women spoke of the invaluable help they’ve received through tears, recounting some of the fears and uncertainties of being a refugee, including the fear of hate crimes and being unable to support their families.

“It makes us realize more of what we have, seeing (them) struggling and trying to get from place to place. And it just warms our heart day after day,” said Rae Tate, another volunteer administrator.

The work of the center was cited as crucial in providing the skills and materials for the micro-enterprise, and allowing the participants to keep the full amount of what they sell their products for.

“They are able to go to markets to sell. When there’s no money, there’s no food,” Sinandile said. “So when they come they train to get their hours that they need to feed their families.”

Sinandile said that she feared the refugees would be judged and harassed by xenophobic individuals.

“This work is very difficult. I don’t get paid yet, but not getting paid to me is not a big deal because I see the struggles these people go through. I just need some help from the city,” she said. “Sometimes I feel like I have all these people on my shoulders. But I cannot stop, until I go down, until I die. That’s the only time I’ll stop.”

The Immigrant and Refugee Resource Village is still in need of a permanent venue with enough space to accommodate their programs.

Gabriella Rivera is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter as @gabbychlamps.