UNM rugby players run drills in the early morning on Monday, Sept. 14, 2015 on Johnson Field. ASUNM has passed legislation to recognize and fund both women’s and men’s rugby.

ASUNM to Athletics: Recognize, support rugby

At its penultimate meeting of the semester, the Associated Students of UNM Senate unanimously passed a resolution encouraging the Athletics Department to consider varsity status for the University’s men’s and women’s rugby teams.

But despite the student support behind the issue, an Athletics Department spokesperson said plans to add new varsity sports are not on the table, in the same week that the department announced it was axing the skiing program.

The Athletics Department announced a $1.5 million deficit last fiscal year.

“There are no plans to add any sports in the foreseeable future,” Athletics Communications Director Frank Mercogliano told the Daily Lobo in an emailed statement. Mercogliano cited budget issues prompting the decision.

“I don’t see this happening,” he said.

The resolution encouraged the Athletics Department to collaborate with the rugby team representatives “to formulate a plan for gradual integration into varsity status.”

Gabriella Rivera, the resolution’s author and vice president of the women’s rugby team, said the department should reconsider its approach.

“The Athletic Department needs to hear us out,” she said. “If they do, they will understand that we would need a very small budget to do huge things.”

Rivera said both teams’ budgets would be around $150,000, which would more than cover travel, supply and coaching fees.

Currently, the women’s rugby team receives $41,303 from ASUNM appropriations and generates $4,656 in fundraising. The men’s team receives similar amounts.

Senator Emily-Claire Stepanek, who sponsored the resolution, said that level of ASUNM funding is “not totally stable.”

“It’s hard to justify giving such large funding to one student organization,” she said, noting the appropriations have to be confirmed each semester.

“Considering the rugby program is an athletic team operating at a high level, they should be a part of the Athletic Department and receive funding semester after semester,” Stepanek said.

Money isn’t the only issue for women’s rugby, as rugby players don’t get certain benefits associated with being a student athlete, like priority registrations, access to facilities and excused absences.

Students also have to pay dues, which can total anywhere from $100 to $250.

“These are girls trying to pay their way through school,” Rivera said of her teammates. “And then they have to cover these dues on top.”

Medical costs also add up, posing problems for some team members.

“A lot of these girls don’t have the insurance to go get injuries checked out,” Rivera said, noting varsity student athletes have access to medical facilities

On top of more benefits for student athletes, the resolution argued that the University itself has much to gain from recognizing the program.

“The University of New Mexico can benefit from recruiting, paid entrances into matches and positive exposure from having two historically successful teams on a national stage,” the legislation reads.

According to America’s Sporting Goods Association, rugby is the fastest growing sport in the U.S. Since its establishment in 2000, the women’s rugby team has graduated 14 All-Americans and an Olympian.

“This is something UNM should try to get ahead of when it’s growing this rapidly,” Rivera said.

The process to gaining varsity status would be a transition, Rivera said, adding she hoped “to work with the department so it makes sense for them as much as it does for us.”

“We want to show UNM Athletics why it makes sense from every perspective to elevate our status,” she said.

Once processed by ASUNM, the resolution will be sent to the Board of Regents, acting President Chaouki Abdallah and Athletic Department leadership.

Brendon Gray is a news reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @notgraybrendon.